The South East Museum Development is pleased to be working with Culture24’s ‘Digital Skills in Museums’ project, which will run from October 2016 to the end of March 2018. It will support resilience in museums through building digital skills.
Culture24 will support hundreds of museums struggling to start their digital journey by providing them with simple, structured, and accessible online ‘pathways’. These will address common challenges and issues, focus on digital skills and be tailored to museum contexts. This online ‘pathway’ will be developed in partnership with the SEMD and a small group of museums from the South East who will advise and test content. Pathways will be presented online and consist of relevant digital resources, Skype surgeries and live webchat, all set within a contextual framework to help museums understand what they need.
What museum will gain by joining the Pathways Focus Group?
We understand how busy and understaffed museums are and will strive to ensure the time a museum staff member or volunteer contributes to the Focus Group is time that’s usefully spent and relates to their museum’s particular challenges and setting.
Benefits of joining the Focus Group will include:
- Opportunity to build relevant digital skills and knowledge, tailored to the specific circumstances/challenges of their museum
- First access and use of a range of potential online resources and support mechanisms that will be rolled out more widely to museums across the country
- Suggestions of other opportunities to promote digital engagement
- Opportunity to share experiences, challenges and best practice with a small cohort of other museums, and if desired, more widely with the sector
- Ability to shape an important national project that will have positive impact for museum digital capacity building across the country.
Roles and responsibilities of Pathways Focus Group participants
- We estimate the total time commitment to be approx. three days over the 15 month project:
- Attend initial half day Pathways Focus Group meeting (in Brighton) to articulate the digital engagement needs of the museum(Nov 2016)
- Test and feedback on usefulness of suggested online pathways, resources and support mechanisms (estimated April to July 2017)
Your MDO will be contacting museums in the first instance, but if you would like to participate in the Digital Pathways Focus Group, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.