The Museum Organisational Health Check (previously known as the ‘Museum MOT’) is a tool to help you track and assess the health of your organisation.
The aim is to help museums benchmark activity, identify what they are doing well and define areas of work that need improvement.
Museum Organisational Health Check 2020-21
In 2018, we piloted a ‘Museum MOT’ toolkit with 10 museums in the South East with positive feedback from both museums and Museum Development Officers.
In 2020-21, we guided 15 museums in the South East through the second pilot phase of the Museum Organisational Health Check, and we asked all of our grantee museums to take part in a ‘light touch’ version of the Health Check with their MDO.
How it works
At its heart, the Museum Organisational Health Check is a self-assessment tool.
Participating museums were sent an online questionnaire to complete with a small cohort from their museum, with support from their MDO during a facilitated session. We recommended this team comprises of 3 people – one senior manager or Trustee; one Front of House team member (staff or volunteer) and one other museum team member (e.g. curator, education officer, retail manager, etc).
Once the questionnaire is completed, one of our Museum Development Officers (MDO) reviewed it and wrote an Advisory Report signposting to helpful resources and development opportunities. The museum was then encouraged to create an Action Plan.
Museums who completed the Health Check were eligible to apply for a £1,000 grant from us to help deliver one item on their Action Plan in 2020-21.
One year on, we will catch up with participating museums in a follow up visit/interview so see what progress has been made.
Who can take part?
The Museum Organisational Health Check was open to:
- Museums in the South East (Sussex, Surrey, Kent, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight)
- Museums must be Accredited or Working Towards Accreditation
- Museums who are non-NPO and non-National
- Non-Accredited museums can take part in the process, but won’t be eligible to apply for the £1,000 grant.
- Recipients of our Recovery Grants will not be eligible for the £1,000 grant.
The Museum Organisational Health Check is particularly useful for museums that:
- Are undergoing significant change
- Have outstanding Accreditation Areas for Improvement
- Require support to develop their Forward Plans
How to apply
Details of the 2021-22 Museum Organisational Health Check will be available soon.