Could your museum be at risk of closure?
Museums at Risk Survey
The South East Museum Development team are keen to identify and help museums at risk of permanent closure as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Please take a few minutes to complete this short online survey.
This information will help us to be responsive and tailor our support activities accordingly.
We may be able to offer you expert advice, help you lobby for support, and signpost you to useful resources and funding opportunities.
Confidential Surgeries for Museums Concerned about Closure
We are aware that the Covid-19 pandemic has put financial strains on every museum. For some, the loss of income threatens the museum’s ability to continue operating in the long-term.
We are offering free, private surgeries to help you review your museum’s position, talk through the options available to you and help identify the actions you need to take.
The surgeries are delivered as confidential, structured conversations with your Museum Development Officer and/or other members of the SEMD team.
To book a surgery, please contact your Museum Development Officer.
Helpful resources if you believe your museum is within 4 to 8 weeks of closure:
- AIM’s Covid-19 Action Checklist – a user-friendly, 10-point guide to identify actions you need to take
- The Museum Association’s, “Museums Facing Closure: Legal and Ethical Issues”, produced with funding from Arts Council England, 2017
- ACE’s Managing Financial Difficulties Guide and Toolkit
- contact your Museum Development Officer at SEMD and the team from AIM to discuss your options
- review the Accessing Emergency Funding Flowchart created by West Midlands Museum Development
- book a confidential, structured conversation with your Museum Development Officer to review your museum’s position, talk through the option available to you and help identify the actions you need to take. SEMD have secured pro bono advice on the legal and governance issues you may be facing.
- refer to AIM’s Covid-19 Action Checklist – a user-friendly, 10-point guide to identify actions you need to take.
- read the Museum Association’s document, “Museums Facing Closure: Legal and Ethical Issues”, produced with funding from Arts Council England, 2017
- work through ACE’s Managing Financial Difficulties Guide and Toolkit
- Read through the ‘Care-full’ Closure Fund guidance and apply for funding to support the process of closure, funded by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
– Who is this fund for?
This fund is open to non-profit organisations of any size who are considering closure and are wanting to explore their options carefully, intentionally and with a design-led approach.