Audience Champions is a 2-year project which aims to help smaller (non NPO) museums to develop a data-driven approach to audience development through the use of Audience Finder. Participating museums will be supported to learn about how to collect, input and analyse audience data.
The Museum Development Network and The Audience Agency recognise that there is currently a low level of confidence and experience in using audience data, particularly by smaller museums (with under 10,000 visitors per annum and with low staff resources and potentially seasonal opening).
The project includes:
- 3 x training workshops
- 121 advice with virtual mentor
- Peer support / cohort working
- 1 x Field Worker training (how to collect the data from your visitors)
- Facilitated learning on using the Audience Finder tool
- Guidance notes
- Benchmarking reports
- Final group report
Year 1 will be a supported programme which aims to help museum gain a baseline understanding of who their current audiences are, where they come from and using data and segmentation models to identify and understand the behaviour of potential audiences in their sub-region. Field Worker training will be also available to guide Front of House teams on how to collect data from visitors.
Year 2 will focus on collecting data and embedding research. It will require museums to participate fully in Audience Finder and share their learning. A final group report will be created for the team to use as a benchmarking tool.
Who should apply?
We have now successfully recruited 12 museums from Kent, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. Well done to the following Museums:
Eden Valley Museum
Royal Engineers Museum
Sandwich Guildhall Museum
The Seaside Museum, Herne Bay
Tenterden & District Museum
Abingdon County Hall Museum
Stanley Spencer Gallery
Pendon Museum Trust
Dorchester Abbey Museum
- w/c 10 Feb 2020 – 1st training session
- w/c 2 March 2020 – Field Worker training
- w/c 8 June 2020 – 2nd training session
- w/c 2 Nov 2020 – 3rd training session
- Feb 2021 – Start 2nd survey (i.e. Yr 2)
- Jan/Feb 2022 – Final sharing event