Attended by museum trustees and those working directly to a trustee board, this workshop was kindly hosted by Brooklands Museum, and supported financially by the Association of Independent Museums.
The lively workshop included presentations and discussions of the following areas:
- How do you know whether you have the right people on your board? Different approaches to skills audits, reviewing your board’s performance and ongoing succession planning
- How can your working practices help you attract new trustees? Approaches to meetings, role descriptions, committee structures
- How do you recruit and select the right people for your board? Communicating what you’re offering to potential applicants, selection approaches and managing an informal interview process.
- The Association of Independent Museums and its support for independent museums.
- Museum Accreditation – governance and planning requirements.
The speakers were:
- Alex Lindley, Alchemy (Trustee Recruitment)
- Margaret Harrison, Programmes Manager, AIM (Museum support provided by the Association of Independent Museums)
- Elaine Sansom, SEMD Museum Development Officer (Museum Accreditation for Trustees)
Please click links to download PDFs.
Additional resources discussed during the workshop:
- SEMD – Successfully Recruiting Trustees to Your Board – in Ten Steps
- Volunteers and the Law (Mark Restall): https://plantnetwork.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/9122/volunteers-and-the-law.pdf
- Free online personality questionnaires which have got good scientific research credentials, for use with your boards for discussion and/or with potential new trustees to facilitate discussions/questions about how to work together effectively. https://www.16personalities.com/ https://www.truity.com/test/big-five-personality-test (this one has a free basic report, but you have to pay for a fuller report)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales – provide free advertising of Hon Treasurer positions to their members https://www.icaewvolunteers.com/
- Association of Independent Museums: Success guides