Would you like to be part of the panel informing and influencing local museum development support?
The Panel works to ensure that the Hampshire Solent activities of the South East Museum Development Programme (SEMDP) remain relevant to the needs of local museums. Members give their time on a voluntary basis to actively promote the value of Museum Development Programme amongst their colleagues and more broadly within the wider community.
The current members of the Panel are:
- Paul Griffiths (Chair) – Mary Rose Museum
- Corina Westwood (Vice-Chair) – Isle of Wight Heritage Service Vice-Chair
- Katy Ball – Portsmouth City Council Museum Service
- Andrea Bishop – National Motor Museum
- Hillary Marshall – New Forest Centre
- Adam Watson – Brading Roman Villa
- Chris Gale – National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Kevin Casey – Diving Museum
In addition, panel meetings are attended by the local SEMDP team (Stephen Lowy and the new MDO for East Hants & Solent) and the Arts Council England Relationship Managers for the area (Sam Rowlands and Michael Cooke).
Why join the Panel?
Asked what motivated the existing panel to join and continue their involvement, they told us about:
- Benefits of benchmarking own museum against the local sector
- Personal CPD to better understand the sector and supporting infrastructure
- Helping with internal advocacy by better representing good practice and opportunities
- Being even more aware of the range of opportunities available to the museum through SEMDP
Who are we looking for?
There is currently one vacancy on the panel. We are looking for a well informed and forward thinking individual from the Hampshire Solent area. Anyone who has five years’ recent museum experience as paid staff, volunteer or trustee is invited to apply.
More details are in the Terms of Reference for the Panel. These, and past minutes, are published here:
How to apply?
If you would like to make a positive contribution to the work of the Museum Development team, please send an email or letter to the contact details below including details of your relevant recent experience of working in museums and your reasons for applying.
The deadline for applications is Monday, 4th June 2018.
Following the deadline, the chair and the Museum Development Officer will review the applications and arrange for an informal chat with all eligible candidates to find out more about your interest in joining and answer any questions you have about the panel and its work.
Once we have met with all candidates, we will give you feedback about the process and confirm whether we would like to recommend your appointment to the full panel meeting in mid July 2018.
If you would like more information please do not hesitate to contact us. You can also find a complete archive of minutes from all prior panel meeting on our website at: http://southeastmuseums.org/?location_id=389
We look forward to hearing from you.
Museum Development Officer
c/of HCT, Chilcomb House, Chilcomb Lane, Winchester, SO23 8RD