Watts Community Forum membersLocation:Compton, Near Guildford, Surrey Benefits:In return for your time and advice we are offering forum members a payment of £50 per session plus reasonable standard travel expenses and access costs (including childcare if applicable), complimentary annual membership for as long as you’re part of the forum, invitations to exhibition Private Views, events and other activities. A minimum 18-month commitment will initially be required, with the opportunity to extend membership in 6 month blocks after that. As sessions may sometimes happen online, you’ll need access Zoom on a laptop or desktop computer, with your video on, and reliable wifi. Main duties:
What it involves
This role invites you to share your perspectives, experiences and skills to influence future projects at Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village by:
- Attending four two-hour meetings a year at the Artists’ Village in Surrey (some meetings may happen online);
- Joining us for selected events and exhibitions for free;
- Championing Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village’s work.
Recommendations from the forum will be shared with our Senior Management Team and Board to inform future decisions – your ideas could help shape the future of the Artists’ Village.
In return for your time and advice we are offering forum members a payment of £50 per session plus reasonable standard travel expenses and access costs (including childcare if applicable), complimentary annual membership for as long as you’re part of the forum, invitations to exhibition Private Views, events and other activities. A minimum 18-month commitment will initially be required, with the opportunity to extend membership in 6 month blocks after that. As sessions may sometimes happen online, you’ll need access Zoom on a laptop or desktop computer, with your video on, and reliable wifi.
Founded in the 1890s by two artists – George Frederic Watts and Mary Watts, today the Artists’ Village welcomes 70,000 site visitors each year. Set in 18 acres of woodland the site encompasses a unique collection of Arts & Crafts buildings – a Victorian art gallery, pottery, chapel, the historic home of the Watts’ ‘Limnerslease’ and their studios.
Visitors enjoy a changing international exhibition programme, as well as the Watts Contemporary Gallery selling art and ceramics. A diverse programme of activities and events includes courses, workshops, talks, tours and family events. Today the Artists’ Village continues its founders’ vision of offering Art for All – amongst many of its activities it supports an Artist in Residence programme, works with prisons and ex-offenders, young people at risk and vulnerable adults.
The building where Mary Watts once ran the Compton Pottery (supplying the likes of Liberty & Co.), now houses a lively Tea Shop, Visitor Centre, Contemporary Gallery and Shop.
Our team at Watts works hard to ensure everyone feels welcome and we value openness, inclusivity, and creativity.
Who we are looking for
- people who have an interest in how art and heritage can be made as accessible as possible and who are happy to share their ideas and collaborate creatively with others to explore how this could happen;
- people who are actively interested in a wide range of cultural and leisure activities – for example visiting museums, historic buildings, galleries, theatres, concerts, the cinema or leisure complexes so that you have ideas and experiences you could share with the group. Prior experience of Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village is not necessary;
- It is important to us that our forum reflects the diversity of our local community, and we would especially welcome expressions of interest from underrepresented voices including disabled, Black, Asian and ethnically diverse members of our community.
If you have one or more of the following attributes, this could be the opportunity for you
– Enthusiasm for culture, arts, heritage, or leisure
– Local knowledge of communities in the Surrey area
– Strong communication skills and a willingness to share ideas, and build off other people’s ideas
We would love to hear from you. Please send an expression of interest by completing the short online application form and by sending us a (2 – 3 min) video message or an audio file explaining
- Why you would like to take part in the Watts Community Forum
- tell us a little about a recent visit to an attraction that you have particularly enjoyed
- one aspect of that visit that could have been improved and how you would improve it
to Kate.Branson@wattsgallery.org.uk by 5 December 2021.
We are committed to actively removing barriers to being part of our Community Forum. If you have specific access needs, or require support with travel or childcare costs, please do let us know.Closing date:05/12/2021 Job Description:
Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village seeks members for new Community Forum
Would you like to be part of a small group who shapes and influences the work of one of Surrey’s leading arts and heritage organisations?
Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village is committed to making art accessible to everyone, and we are inviting people to join us on this journey as members of our new Community Forum. This is an exciting opportunity to work with us in an advisory capacity, inspiring and guiding future projects, events and exhibitions.
The forum will meet 4 times a year, and you will be paid for your time and expenses. You will also enjoy free family membership and free entry to selected events and private views for the duration of your time as a forum member.
We would love to hear from you, the deadline for applying is 5 December 2021. Find out more and apply online here https://www.wattsgallery.org.uk/about-us/careers/Full details [external link]