Volunteer Curator (part time), Dorchester Abbey MuseumLocation:Dorchester Abbey Museum, Dorchester on Thames, Wallingford, Oxon Salary:As this is a volunteer role, no salary is payable Main duties:
- strategic planning, policy-making and financial management
- managing and conserving the Museum’s collections and environment to high professional standards
- leading preparations for re-accreditation
- developing policies on scope and content of collections and acquisition management
- fund raising, including writing grant applications
- planning and developing new displays and exhibits
- further developing the museum’s databases to make them user-friendly and publicly accessible
- developing the Museum’s contribution to Dorchester Abbey’s education programme
- overseeing the museum gift shop
- publicity and promoting closer links with the local community and other visitors
- developing links with other museums and other relevant outside contacts
- volunteer training and development
This is an exciting opportunity to take Dorchester Abbey Museum into the next phase of its development, and make a valuable contribution to the local community. The post would suit an enthusiastic, creative person with a keen interest in Dorchester, its people and history – perhaps someone working part-time, seeking to develop a career in museums, or recently retired.
Dorchester Abbey Museum is a small, accredited and highly-regarded museum located in the Abbey Guest House adjacent to Dorchester Abbey, Dorchester on Thames, Oxfordshire. It is normally open to the public from Easter to end September, but its work goes on throughout the year. During 2020 as a result of the pandemic, the Museum was closed for most of the time, like other public venues. We opened for some weekends when possible, subject to government guidelines and social distancing procedures. We hope to open again to the public in 2021 as soon as the government allows.
The Museum is managed by a small committee which includes the Curator, and run day-to-day by a team of 30 committed volunteers. The Curator is responsible to Dorchester Abbey’s Parochial Church Council and works closely with the Museum Committee. After a successful two-year period in post our Curator has recently left for a salaried museum post, so we need a replacement.
Time commitment: 1-2 days a week (7-15 hours approx.). The appointment is not for a fixed term, but will be reviewed after 3 and 6 months, thereafter annually. We seek someone who is able to take up the post as soon as possible.
For further details please contact
The Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. 01865 340007
Closing date for applications: Monday 21 June 2021