Volunteer Co-Ordinator (Part-Time), Amberley MuseumClosing date:05/07/2019 Job Description:
Amberley Museum is recruiting a Volunteer Co-Ordinator. The Museum is dedicated to showcasing and preserving the industrial heritage of the South of England and has a vast range of outdoor and indoor exhibits on its 36 acre site in a chalk quarry in the South Downs National Park. Volunteers are the life-blood of Amberley Museum; up to 200 come in on a regular basis to demonstrate and operate our approximately 20 exhibit areas.
We have recently received funding from the National Lottery Community Fund as part of its Reaching Communities programme. The funding includes provision for a part-time Volunteer Co-Ordinator for two years. The main role will be to develop and run an out-reach programme in the local community in order to recruit more Volunteers from socially isolated backgrounds, specifically men, over 65 years old, who may not have volunteered before. This will involve pro-actively developing relationships with local organisations such as County and District Councils, Parish Councils, voluntary organisations, retirement homes, and charities. Improving the profile and awareness of what the volunteering at the Museum contributes to the local community is an important element of the programme. It is intended to become a pioneering programme for other charities to follow. Additionally this person will need to engage with our existing volunteers to ensure an inclusive and satisfying volunteer experience for all. A detailed work programme will firstly need to be worked up to cover specific tasks including:
- Gathering information from current Museum volunteers on skills, experience, benefits of volunteering
- Understanding volunteer opportunities
- Set up an Outreach Volunteering Working Group within the Museum to include outside partners
- Meet and liaise with local volunteering organisations and community groups to identify volunteer needs and availabilities in the heritage charity sector
- Liaising and promoting volunteering programmes at Amberley with local government and health institutions
- Liaising with Charity support institutions such as AIM and SEMS
- Developing Museum processes for the integration of new volunteers
- Aligning Museum processes for volunteer management with those associated with the needs of the Outreach programme
- Meeting with Museum personnel in the Sussex region to share best practice when working with outreach volunteers
- Developing partnerships with local companies and organisations, to create a referral/recruitment network
- Developing and implementing appropriate evaluation and monitoring framework
- Developing and implementing a marketing plan to recruit volunteers
- Recruiting and retaining 30 new volunteers over two years
The successful candidate will need to engage with our existing Volunteers, to learn about the environment in which new volunteers will operate. They need to be able to develop and deliver the outreach programme (with some support from other staff and Trustees). Specific abilities will include being a confident speaker and presenter, experience working with volunteers, proven analytical and reporting capability. It will be desirable to have some experience in elderly social care. The candidate needs to be able to work in a small team, proactively manage their own work, and have an ability to think creatively.
Access to a vehicle would be a requirement as a significant part of the role will be undertaking visits in the Sussex region. Previous experience in the heritage/voluntary sector would be an advantage.
Salary: A full time equivalent salary would be in the order of £20K depending on experience. Mileage allowance would be paid when on Museum business. Ideally, we are looking for someone who wishes to work flexibly for 25-30 hours per week. Some weekend working will be required with time given off in lieu.
If you are interested in this position please submit a covering letter of no more than two sides which addresses how you best meet the needs of the role, along with your CV to Mr G Duxbury, Executive Trustee, Amberley Museum.
E Mail address: email@example.com