Visitor Services Supervisor – Tours and Group Bookings, Watts Gallery TrustLocation:Compton, Near Guildford, Surrey Salary:£19,000-£23,000 Main duties:
• Duty Manage Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village on 3 – 4 days a week including weekends and evenings.
• Ensure all visitors receive a warm, friendly welcome and have a safe and enjoyable visit.
• Work closely with the Estates and Facilities Manager to ensure security of the estate and to lock and alarm the buildings in the absence of the estates team e.g. evening events and weekends.
• To ensure Volunteer Stewards know who to contact and talk to and that they receive an excellent welcome and briefing before their shifts.
• Work closely with the Estates team, reporting any health, safety or technical problems effecting visitors’ experience.
• Ensure familiarity with all Fire and Health & Safety procedures and that these procedures are always adhered to.
• Be the main point of contact between visitor services and the Adult Programme Curator, supporting them with planning and duty management, including for online events.
• In the absence of the Visitor Services Manager, be the main point of contact for Volunteers.
• Keep the volunteer stewarding rota up to date, filling gaps in good time by contacting volunteers.
• Keep volunteer kitchens/cloakrooms in good order, stocking up refreshments.
• Support the recruitment, induction, training and appraisal of volunteers
• Work closely with the Volunteer Events Manager to deliver tours as a form of training.
• Assist the Adult Learning & Events Team with the rota and recruitment of Volunteer Guides, and support the Volunteer Events Manager as appropriate.
• Support the Visitor Services Team in evaluating the volunteer programme.
• Assist the Visitor Services Manager with training events and in identifying and implementing access initiatives to ensure good physical and intellectual access, with improving and implementing signage, and in delivering all visitor services for public events from risk assessments to car-parking.
• Support visitors with additional needs such as reserving car parking spaces.
• Keep the Gallery Calendar up to date with all public activities.
• Support the Head of Operations and Visitor Services Manager with minute-taking.
• Support the Head of Operations with project management where appropriate.
• Create reports for the Head of Operations and Visitor Services Manager as requested and contribute to a range of organizational reports.
Tours and Group Bookings
• Create a programme of physical and digital tours for visitors, external groups and group visits and develop new tours as appropriate.
• Manage, train and communicate well with our team of volunteer guides to deliver high quality tours, high standards of visitor experience, and the rota is appropriately staffed.
• Ensure tours and group visits are accessible to all, looking for new ways to improve accessibility wherever possible.
• Compile data and reports on income for the Head of Operations to support budget forecasting.
• Work closely with the Trading department to create a group visit offer including admissions and catering.
• Work with the Head of Operations to develop new income generation ideas through tours and group visits.
• Work with the Marketing department to develop a marketing plan to increase tour and group visit bookings, ensuring that targets are met.
Skills & Experience
• Excellent communication skills – ability to communicate well with a wide range of people.
• Experience of working in a customer-facing environment.
• Experience of working with volunteers desirable.
• Experience of working with and/or developing tours and group bookings.
• Strong IT skills.
Knowledge & Qualifications
• High standard of written English and numeracy.
• A knowledge or qualification in First Aid, Health & Safety or willingness to undertake training.
• Ability to remain calm under pressure.
• Proactive and resourceful.
• Confident dealing with a wide range of people.
• Ability to work weekends and evenings on a rota basis.
Watts Gallery Trust has an exciting opening for the role of Visitor Services Supervisor – Tours and Group Bookings. As the gallery enacts its coronavirus recovery plans and delivers its business plan over the coming years, we are looking for someone who is flexible and enjoys working in a fast-paced and changing environment. Working at the heart of a thriving cultural institution you will be responsible for supporting the Visitor Services Manager to deliver a first-class visitor experience for all our visitors across 7 days a week and a programme of public events. The post-holder will assist with our extensive volunteer programme of 250 supporters including the administration of the volunteer stewards’ rota. The successful candidate will have responsibility for tours and group bookings, programming a range of physical and digital tours, developing an enticing group offer, and looking at ways to significantly increase income. The Visitor Services Supervisor – Tours and Group Bookings is part of an Operations team of five staff including a full time Head of Operations, Visitor Services Manager, Visitor Services Supervisor, and part time Volunteer Events Manager. The Visitor Services Supervisor – Tours and Group Bookings will share Duty Managing with the Visitor Services Manager and Visitor Services Supervisor during the week and weekends, ensuring volunteer stewards receive a supportive and enjoyable experience as well as looking after the safety of visitors and the collection.
Watts Gallery Trust is fully committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We actively encourage BAME and disabled applicants and value the positive impact difference has on our teams.
ABOUT WATTS GALLERY – ARTISTS’ VILLAGE
Watts Gallery Trust is an independent charity established in 1904 to manage the legacy of George Frederic Watts OM RA, one of the leading artists of the nineteenth century. Today, Watts Gallery Trust is an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation that oversees Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village. Consisting of Limnerslease, the former home of artists G F Watts and Mary Seton Watts, the Grade I listed Watts Cemetery Chapel, designed by Mary Watts, the Pottery Building that formerly housed the Compton Potters Arts Guild, and Watts Gallery established in 1904 as the UK’s first single artist museum, the Artists’ Village is a leading regional visitor attraction. The Trust delivers an ambitious and far-reaching engagement and learning programme in prisons, in the local community and onsite, working to deliver our founders’ Art for All ethos with some of the most vulnerable in society. It also manages the Artist’s Studio Museum Network of 152 artist’s studio museums across Europe, and the thriving Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village, which is located in Compton, outside Guildford across 18 acres of Area of OutstandingFull details [external link]