Visitor Services Supervisor, Petersfield MuseumLocation:Petersfield, Hampshire Salary:£21,000 pa, two-year fixed term contract Benefits:Complimentary tickets to the Museum and its temporary exhibitions Discount on food and drink in the café Discount in the Museum shop, subject to discount policy Free biscuits Main duties:
Petersfield Museum is looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Visitor Services Supervisor to join our small team at an exciting point in our story, following the completion of our ambitious NLHF supported project, which has transformed the Museum’s buildings, galleries, exhibitions and engagement programmes.
This role offers the opportunity to deliver exceptional visitor service initiatives to support our newly re-opened museum, which is home to regionally and nationally important collections and to develop high-quality experiences for all our visitors.
Over a two-year period, the Visitor Services Supervisor will actively contribute to the development and delivery of key aspects of our exciting plans for the newly transformed Petersfield Museum, a creative and community hub in the heart of the market town of Petersfield, set within the natural beauty of the South Downs National Park.Interview date:25/10/2021 Closing date:15/10/2021 Job Description:
- To work closely with the Museum Director to ensure a consistent and enjoyable visitor experience.
- To supervise the operation of the Welcome Desk with optimum staffing levels, ensuring a high-quality experience for all visitors. To ensure the Museum shop is always presented in a well-stocked, attractive and tidy manner.
- To support visitors with additional needs and to develop the Museum’s visitor experience offering ensuring all sectors of the community are comfortable and able to use the Museum feeling welcome and safe and can fully engage with our facilities.
- Manage the shop’s stock ordering and merchandising, following agreed budgets. To research and develop brand ranges for the retail offering and to regularly evaluate and adapt the positioning of merchandise, ensuring products are well promoted and rotated to increase retail sales.
- To manage the Museum’s volunteer programme and act as the main point of contact for volunteers, further developing the Museum’s volunteer programme. This includes visitor experience volunteers, events volunteers, engagement volunteers, collections volunteers and liaison with the Edward Thomas Fellowship regarding requirements for volunteers in the Edward Thomas Study Centre.
- To co-ordinate the recruitment, induction and training of volunteers, as well as the development of volunteers’ roles to increase retention, skills and to encourage volunteer commitment and engagement.
- To plan, manage and deliver the monthly Museum rota for both volunteers and staff, ensuring adequate cover is consistently in place.
- To ensure that all staff and volunteers involved in handling payments at the Welcome Desk are trained appropriately and monitored. To ensure that there are robust systems in place for recording and monitoring daily income.
- To ensure that Museum buildings and exhibition spaces are well maintained for visitors, including general cleaning and signage and that the Museum provides an exceptional experience for all visitors.
- To assist the Head of Engagement and Management team in arranging and supervising Museum events, such as public events, exhibition openings, lectures and talks, engagement activities and private events, ensuring all required resources are available and that visitor operations run in an efficient and welcoming manner.
- To support the delivery of evening events ensuring excellent visitor experience.
- To manage the day-to-day administration of the Museum’s Friends scheme (through DigiTickets ticketing & CRM software) and contribute to the development of new and enhanced supporter schemes.
- To ensure local residents and neighbours are kept up to date with Museum events that may affect them.
- To work within agreed objectives and budgets, as well as monitoring the Museum’s commercial activity, providing evaluation data for the Museum Director.
- To work with all departments to regularly evaluate visitor experience, collecting and analysing accurate data and to contribute to reports and funding applications, as required.
- To work closely with the café operator to ensure the café delivers on all targets, including customer satisfaction, food safety and operational compliance.
- To help ensure that the Museum meets all compliance requirements including health and safety, fire and security systems, emergency planning and all current Museum policies and procedures effecting visitors’ experience, including the training of staff and volunteers.
- With the Head of Engagement, ensure the Safeguarding of Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults on site and that procedures are up to date and followed by all staff and volunteers.
- To act as Duty Manager for the Museum.