Visitor Services Manager (FT)Reference No.VSM20 Location:Rochester House, 42 Pembroke St, Oxford OX1 1BP Salary:£20,000 - £21,500 Benefits:• Be part of team that is committed to sharing great stories and is driven by its values: • Being brave and resourceful • Offering a warm welcome and a satisfied goodbye • Always learning and growing • Being seriously playful • Help to make a tangible difference to improving word poverty through story both at the Museum and through outreach programmes. • Help create a wonder - the world’s first Story Museum. • Work with colleagues for whom exploring cultural differences and working to increase inclusion is integral to their working day. • Benefit from Continuing Personal & Professional Development programmes and regular team briefings and training sessions. • Opportunities for flexible working including part-time, job share and time off in lieu. Receive access to an Employee Support Programme which offers confidential advice and counselling. • Work in an organisation where everyone gets paid above the National Living Wage and gets 25 days annual leave a year (pro rata) plus bank holidays. • Join a pension scheme with a 5% company contribution. • Benefit from exclusive offers and concessions in the shop, café and for entry to the galleries and special events. Main duties:
Main responsibilities and duties
- Open and close down the Museum operations ensuring that the galleries, shop, café and all other spaces are fully operational in time for public opening.
- Ensure safe management of cash handling and oversee cashing up procedures.
- Lead daily briefings for visitor services staff and volunteers and provide clear handover documentation at the end of the day.
- Ensure that all displays and activities are in-line with the guidelines set by the Exhibitions and Learning Teams through basic technical and visual checks; recording faults and instigating repairs through the appropriate channels.
- In the event of a fundamental operational failure contact the necessary service provider and arrange emergency repairs.
- Lead by example and ensure staff and volunteers provide a proactive, consistently excellent welcome and visitor experience.
- Take responsibility for the health and safety of visitors and members of the team. Lead as Chief Fire Marshall, First Aid Officer and Safeguarding Officer; ensuring correct safety procedures are followed.
- Deal with complaints in a calm and courteous manner and, following procedures refer, comments and complaints to senior management.
- Welcome and brief visiting artists and contractors as necessary.
- Manage the set up of spaces for public and private events.
- With other Visitor Services Managers evaluate and report on the quality of the visitor experience.
Deputising for and supporting the existing Visitor Services Managers
- Develop an understanding of the importance of the different commercial streams within the Museum and support those responsible of their delivery and budgets.
- Work with the Retail Coordinator to ensure that the Visitor Services Assistants are familiar with the retail offer and keep shop looking clean, tidy and well stocked.
- Provide trouble shooting support on the Box Office and till systems.
- Liaise with the Volunteer Coordinator regarding the volunteer rota, support the volunteers in their roles and feedback as appropriate.
- Provide admin support with the Visitor Services Team rota (including Story Guides) and proactively make adjustments to the schedule to ensure that adequate cover is provided across the museum on open days.
- Provide performance related feedback on the Visitors Services Team.
- Help coordinate the building facilities and maintenance.
- Learn about the Café operations and support the Café Manager and Supervisors as required.
- Represent the Visitor Services Team during relevant projects and meetings and deputise for other Visitor Services Managers as necessary.
- Maintain personal knowledge by completing in-house training and workbooks.
- Develop and maintain a good knowledge of The Story Museum particularly in relation to the programme of events and commercial enterprises/
- To proactively engage with The Story Museum’s values and organisational objectives.
- To adhere to, and actively contribute to all Museum policies, including Equalities (diversity, access and equal opportunities), Environmental and Health & Safety; and those required for Museum Accreditation.
- This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required and is not wholly comprehensive or restrictive.
This role has been assessed as requiring an Enhanced DBS Check.Interview date:27/01/2020 Closing date:20/01/2020 Job Description:
The new Visitor Services Manager at The Story Museum will work as a team with the two existing Visitor Services Managers to provide a friendly and professional front of house welcome to all our visitors. As the primary duty manager you will be responsible for upholding the quality of the visitor experience across the whole Museum offer and to oversee the management of any incidents. You will work with the existing Visitor Services Managers to develop an understanding of how to coordinate and promote the different commercial activities in the Museum and the Volunteer Team. T
his is a very exciting opportunity and would suit someone who has some previous experience of being on the ‘front line’ either in a shop, restaurant or venue.
Hold a broad understanding of all elements of The Story Museum offer including the Shop, Café, Galleries and Events and to provide confident leadership when Duty Managing.
- Proactively uphold the quality of the visitor experience, customer service and efficiency through visitor service operations and ensure all our visitors experience a warm welcome and a satisfied goodbye.
- To be responsible for the health, safety and security of visitors and staff and oversee the effective management of any incident.