Visitor Services Assistant (PT/FT contracts available)Reference No.VSA20 Location:Rochester House, 42 Pembroke St, Oxford OX1 1BP Salary:£17,500 - £18,500 pro rata Benefits:• Be part of team that is committed to sharing great stories and is driven by its values: • Being brave and resourceful • Offering a warm welcome and a satisfied goodbye • Always learning and growing • Being seriously playful • Help to make a tangible difference to improving word poverty through story both at the Museum and through outreach programmes. • Help create a wonder - the world’s first Story Museum. • Work with colleagues for whom exploring cultural differences and working to increase inclusion is integral to their working day. • Benefit from Continuing Personal & Professional Development programmes and regular team briefings and training sessions. • Opportunities for flexible working including part-time, job share and time off in lieu. Receive access to an Employee Support Programme which offers confidential advice and counselling. • Work in an organisation where everyone gets paid above the National Living Wage and gets 25 days annual leave a year (pro rata) plus bank holidays. • Join a pension scheme with a 5% company contribution. • Benefit from exclusive offers and concessions in the shop, café and for entry to the galleries and special events. Main duties:
Museum café & bar
- Make great coffee products using the commercial coffee grinder and machine, and produce other hot drinks such as teas and hot chocolates.
- Serve and upsell other drinks, food products and freshly prepared food.
- Prepare hot and cold food for display and sale eg sandwiches, soups, potatoes.
- Clear the crockery to the kitchen, wash up or stack the dishwasher and put away clean crockery, cutlery and equipment.
- Display, or close down, the daily food offer and equipment as planned and as appropriate to the shifts worked.
- Process sales through the till or tablet as necessary, taking money and issuing change.
- Keep the café clean and tidy.
- Monitor stock levels and report to Café Supervisor.
- Work quickly and confidently, and follow instructions efficiently.
- Develop a good knowledge of the products on offer to help customers make decisions and advise them on ingredients and issue allergen advice as necessary.
- Understand the need for, and help to maintain, excellent hygiene procedures. Ensure all food hygiene and health and safety procedures are followed.
- Ensure that alcohol is sold according to the Licensing Act 2003 and uphold the Think 25 policy.
Museum shop, tickets and information
- Respond to face-to-face and telephone enquiries.
- Keep up-to-date to with opening hours, exhibition content and scheduled events and activities.
- Be prepared to answer questions about programme content and age suitability.
- Take bookings for current and future events using computerised box office system.
- Ensure that product displays are restocked and attractively displayed
- Learn about story related products on sale and promote sales by making appropriate suggestions to visitors.
- Keep the shop clean, tidy and welcoming.
- Receive deliveries on behalf of the organisation.
- Welcome visitors booked to see other members of staff and notify the office of their arrival.
- Reconcile the till at the end of the day under supervision of Café Supervisor or Visitor Services Manager.
- Work proactively alongside other members of the team and volunteers, including reporting observations to the line manager.
- Maintain personal knowledge by completing in-house training and workbooks.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Act as a fire marshal ensuring correct safety procedures are followed.
- Develop and maintain a good knowledge of The Story Museum, its values, history, plans for the future.
- Maintain high levels of personal hygiene and a professional appearance; keep the uniforms provided clean and in good order.
- Be proactive in all areas of the café and shop operations and contribute to meetings about the progress and development of the offer and customer service.
- This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required and is not wholly comprehensive or restrictive.
The Story Museum is looking for several friendly and enthusiastic people (P-T minimum 3-days per week) to welcome visitors to the Museum and to provide them with a fantastic customer experience in the shop and the café.
You will help them with their ticket purchases using our Box Office system face to face and over the telephone and help them to find the perfect books and gifts for sale in our shop. You will also work with the Café Supervisors, helping them to prepare food and to provide a fast, friendly and efficient service in the café.
Main purpose of the role
- To provide a good-natured and informative front of house presence selling tickets, books and merchandise.
- To provide an efficient high quality food and drinks service in a friendly manner to members of the public and visitors to the Museum.
- To follow instructions efficiently and support any commercial initiatives that are introduced.