Volunteer: Trustees, Ditchling Museum of Art + CraftLocation:Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft Salary:Voluntary Main duties:
We are looking particularly, but not exclusively, for individuals who have expertise in the following areas:
- Ability to scrutinise project budgets and accounts and offer guidance
- Understanding of the culture and arts funding landscape
- Knowledge of investment opportunities
- Knowledge of UK tax and VAT for cultural organisations
- Marketing and PR
- Experience of public relations, marketing and communications at strategic level
- Excellent networks with which to help advocate for DMAC
- Strong insight into communications best practice
- Experience in Journalism, PR or Communications
- Audience Development
- Experience of audience development, finding ways to bring audiences to the Museum and wider programme and maintaining their interest
- Experience with engaging audiences that are young, financially marginalised or from a BAME background
- Experience of audience database management
- Knowledge of the education sector
- Specialist knowledge of museum or heritage management, conservation or collections
- Commercial/retail expertise.
- Digital technology.
- Volunteer management.
- We are keen to expand the range of ages and backgrounds of Trustees. Even if you think you might be an unusual fit, we are keen to hear from you. Prior experience of being part of a Board or other governance structure is not essential.
- A passionate commitment to the museum and its objectives.
- Ability to work effectively within a group.
- Comfortable in an ambassadorial role in public.
- Strong networking capabilities.
- Willing to commit time to the charity.
- Trustee Responsibilities
The Trustees are the principal decision-making body of DMAC. Its members are both Trustees of the limited company and Trustees of the registered charity. The main responsibilities of Trustees are:
- To regularly review DMAC’s vision, values and long-term strategy, working alongside the Director and team,
- To approve major policies for their fulfilment and/or implementation;
- To support DMAC staff in carrying out these policies;
- To agree budgets and monitor financial activity;
- To exercise overall control of DMAC’s financial affairs;
- To support the fundraising aims of the organisation;
- To sit on recruitment panels as required;
- To ensure the company is operating within the law and with good practice;
- To have a commitment to the development and implementation of good practice;
- To ensure that DMAC complies with regulatory and statutory requirements;
- To act both as Trustees of the registered charity and Directors of the company limited by guarantee;
- To be prepared, where appropriate, to play their part in serving on sub-groups working parties or steering groups undertaking work on behalf of the Board.
- To act as a spokesperson and advocate for the organisation where appropriate.
An exciting opportunity to be part of a new phase of development for this ambitious, internationally known specialist museum.
Following the redevelopment of its building and collection the museum re-opened as Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft in September 2013 after a major re-build. Since that time the business model has evolved from presentation of static displays to a lively exhibition programme of contemporary and historic work. With no regular revenue funders the museum has worked hard to establish a stable business model whilst realising its ambitions.
Trustees will play a vital role in challenging and supporting the Director and staff team in developing and implementing strategy and helping this small but ambitious organisation punch above its weight.Full details [external link]