Trustee, Herne Bay Museum TrustLocation:The Seaside Museum, Herne Bay Salary:Voluntary Main duties:
Their main duties are to manage the Trust by complying with the following statutory tasks:
1. To ensure that the organisation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
2. To ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
3. To ensure the organisation uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects.
4. To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
5. To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
6. To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
7. To ensure the financial stability of the organisation.
8. To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity’s funds.
9. If the organisation employs staff, to monitor his/her performance.
The HBMT Chair and the Charity Commission
• Oversight of the management of the Museum, including implementation of the Museum Forward Plan.
• Responsibility for the proper management of collections in the Trust’s care with regard to national standards and the Trust’s Collections Development Policy.
• The integration of appropriate museum strategy and policy documents with Herne Bay Museum Trust’s wider policies.
• To attend Board meetings regularly and represent the Museum and its business to the other Trustees and to develop strategies that include the best interest of the museum and its collections, taking the lead where other Trustees have no specific knowledge of museum practice.
• To work with museum staff and the Museum Mentor to draft museum policy documents, including the Forward Plan and Collections Development Policy
• To monitor implementation of the Forward Plan and other policies and report progress to the Board.
• To liaise with the Museum Mentor in order to maintain Accredited status.
• To ensure appropriate collections and documentation procedures are followed.
• Sitting on and chairing committees as required.
• To scrutinise board papers.
• To attend training where necessary, including governance and museum specific training.
• To look at ways and means of attracting funding to the museum
• To help market and promote the museum
• To advise on the day to day running of the museumClosing date:22/10/2021 Job Description:
Herne Bay Museum Trust (for the Seaside Museum Herne Bay), is currently seeking 2 Trustees to join the Board.
The Trust is especially interested in applicants who have skills and expertise in finance (income generation), governance and legal, personnel management, and marketing and promotion. However, if you are interested in this role and feel that you have different skills to contribute, please apply, as all applications will be considered.
Trustees are encouraged to assume a specialist responsibility and engage with management and operational activities and donate time at their convenience. There are 4-6 formal meetings, with additional meetings held as required.
The role of Trustee is to provide robust oversight, strategic direction, ensure effective governance arrangements are in place, rigorously monitor the charity’s performance and provide guidance, advice and support in the delivery of the charity’s objectives.
More information about becoming a charity trustee can be found here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/charity-trustee-whats-involved
How to Apply
To apply please send a CV and covering letter telling us a bit about yourself and why you would like to join the Board of Herne Bay Museum Trust.
Please send your application to email@example.com
Closing date for applications is 22 October 2021