Steamship Shieldhall – Business Plan & Location Options Appraisal ConsultantReference No.SS Shieldhall - BP Location:Shieldhall is located in Southampton. The appointed consultant is expected to visit the ship as frequently as is necessary to effectively carry out this commission. Salary:The budget for this piece of work is up to £25,000 (excl VAT) Benefits:The successful consultant will be appointed on a consultancy basis and will be responsible for their own tax reporting. The consultant could be a suitably experienced individual, company or association of individuals. Main duties:
We do not wish to be overly prescriptive in setting out how the commission should be delivered and would welcome the consultant’s advice and input into structuring of the work. Nonetheless, our initial thinking as to how the work might be delivered is as a Locations Options Study and Business Plan, with potential steps for carrying out the work outlined below:
- Identify and investigate options for the future location of the ship. This piece of work will need to consider potential alternative locations for the ship across the UK as well as reviewing the implications of remaining in our current location. The work should consider the opportunities, challenges, strengths and risks of the options.
- The consultant will need to liaise closely with TSSP to understand the operational requirements of Shieldhall since this will have implications for suitability of ports.
- The implication of new locations for volunteering will need to be taken into consideration
- Where appropriate meet with relevant representatives of ports/docks/others in potential new locations to understand opportunities and constraints.
- Meet relevant Southampton-based organisations/individuals to understand the implications of remaining in our current location
- Review current organisational activities and finances.
- Revisit the activities/opportunities that had begun to be developed under the earlier Saving Shieldhall project (eg conference/meeting use, events etc) and provide recommendations for how these opportunities can be taken forward.
- Consider other opportunities for revenue generation.
- Explore whether there are other operating models (for example, employment of paid staff) which could contribute towards future sustainability.
- Undertake market analysis, research into potential new income streams and new audiences in order to consider the business plan implications of the most likely future locations, including Southampton.
- Participate in visits and meetings with other historic ships organisations (and potentially other passenger vessel operators or heritage sites) to share experiences and learning in relation to business planning and operational models to learn from the experience of others.
- Attend the end-of-project networking and learning event with other not-for-profit historic ships organisations. The consultant should be willing to participate and if deemed appropriate, give a presentation about the learning from the Options Study and Business Planning work.
- Allow for up to 4 post project meetings to assist with initial implementation of the recommendations of the business plan.
The output of this work will be a Locations Options Study and associated 5-year Business Plan which fully consider the potential benefits, challenges, opportunities and risks of locations, activities and operating models and makes recommendations for the most appropriate ways forward for TSSP and Shieldhall.Interview date:22/01/2020 Closing date:13/01/2020 Job Description:
The Solent Steam Packet (TSSP) owns and operates Steamship Shieldhall, the country’s last and largest operational steam-powered cargo and passenger ship.
TSSP has been awarded a Resilient Heritage grant by the National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF) towards the costs of our latest project, Steamship Shieldhall – Steaming towards a Resilient Future ,which will help us to plan for a sustainable future for the ship. A key part of this work is the appointment of a consultant to undertake a Locations Options Study and to develop a new 5-year Business Plan as part of the next phase of our development.
The options study will explore whether Southampton remains the right location for Shieldhall, identify potential alternative locations from which the ship could operate and explore the benefits, challenges, risks and opportunities of relocation. Alongside, and building on the Options Study is the need for a forward business plan for Shieldhall based on a situation review, understanding of ongoing costs, market analysis, research into potential new income streams and new audiences.
Further details of the commission can be downloaded from the following link:
Alternatively, please contact Joanna Watson on 07787 984445 or at email@example.com to request a copy of the brief.
The successful consultant will be appointed on a consultancy basis and will be responsible for their own tax reporting. The consultant could be a suitably experienced individual, company or association of individuals.Full details [external link]