Senior Retail and Customer Service Assistant, Guildford MuseumReference No.D2/19/103707 Location:Guildford Museum, Guildford Surrey Salary:£21,599 - £23,851 per annum Benefits:Guildford Borough Council offer's a generous annual leave scheme and other staff benefits such as childcare vouchers and retail savings. We also provide a generous pension package and pleasant working environment in the centre of Guildford The Borough of Guildford is situated in south west Surrey, ideally located for access to London and the south coast by road (M25, M3, A3 are nearby) and by a regular rail service from and to Portsmouth and London Waterloo (35 minutes). The residents of Guildford are served by a traditional cobbled High Street and an attractive and varied shopping centre, boasting many well-known retailers and smaller specialised shops catering for all tastes and pockets. The Borough is surrounded by beautiful countryside with a relaxed atmosphere, which includes a host of charming villages, many in areas of outstanding natural beauty. The Borough provides first class sport and leisure facilities. These include the country’s most exciting sports and leisure complex – Guildford Spectrum, a multiplex cinema, art gallery, local history museum, Electric Theatre, G-Live plus a wide range of outdoors sports activities from cricket to boating – something for everyone! Guildford enjoys an excellent social life with plenty to keep both its residents and visitors entertained through its many restaurants, pubs and bars. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford. Main duties:
1. Act as a welcoming and helpful first point of contact for all visitor and enquiries.
2. Assist visitor in using services: giving directions and practical assistance, taking bookings and operating simple equipment (eg DVD player, I Pad).
3. Undertake administration routines and provide support associated with visitor feedback, front of house operations, object donations, identifications and similar areas.
4. Arrange staff cover to ensure smooth running of the reception / sales service at Heritage sites as per the seasonal programming.
5. Be responsible for the sale of publications, souvenirs and gifts from the Museum’s gift shops, website and appropriate off site events and venues, making sales, cashing up and working to agreed expenditure and income targets.
6. Maintain stock control, reordering merchandise where necessary and assisting in selecting new lines to complement Museum themes, exhibitions and programmes.
7. Assist in managing casual/seasonal visitor services staff, assisting in recruiting staff, supervising the delivery of customer services to agreed standards and providing on the job coaching and training as required.
8. Ensure sales areas and displays are tidy and well presented.
9. Check public areas and facilities through the day, ensuring they are clean, tidy and in good order, reporting problems.
10. Provide a first level enquiry service, making information available, answering routine enquiries and referring customers visitor
11. Collect visitor numbers and other visitor service statistics and information as required.
12. Participate in maintaining the security in the Museum, checking the CCTV monitor to keep aware of the movement of visitors through the building and maintaining the signing in book.
13. Act as a key holder and duty manager unlocking and locking buildings as required.
14. Any other tasks of a similar nature, consistent with the post holder’s experience or qualifications as may be requested by management.
15. To comply with the Council’s statutory duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people and vulnerable adults.Closing date:24/07/2019 Job Description:
Heritage Services are looking to recruit for the post of Senior Retail and Customer Service Assistant. Based at Guildford Museum this position will be on a fixed term contract until 31st March 2020. This is a full time post however we also welcome applications for part time, job share (18.5 hours per week). Please indicate which option you are applying for on the application form.
Guildford Borough Council manages and cares for a portfolio of heritage buildings of significant and varying historic interest, protected by listed status within conservation areas. The successful candidate(s) will work as part of a team and will supervise and participate in providing an effective information, reception and sales service to all visitors to our Heritage venues. They will provide Duty Management support ensuring the effective operation of all front of house services.
With a good standard of general education, you will also be able to demonstrate excellent customer care and communication skills. Creativity, organisation skills and strong interpersonal skills are all essential qualities that we are looking for.Full details [external link]