Museum & Visitor Services Officer- LCT 7074Reference No.2970 - 3644 Location:The D-Day Story, Portsmouth Salary:Band 5 £18,413 - £20,653 pro rata for part time Benefits:What we offer Portsmouth City Council is committed to the development of its staff. Benefits include a good induction process, being part of a dedicated Museums and Visitors Services team, regular supervisions for support, yearly personal development reviews and an overall supportive workplace with a chance to work in a varied environment. Main duties:
Who is the person?
You need to:
1. Have excellent interpersonal skills
2. Have extensive previous experience of co-ordinating a team of volunteers
3. Have experience of delivering fun and engaging events and activities
4. Have experience of enhancing the visitor experience
5. Have experience of collecting and evaluating visitor satisfaction levels
6. Have experience of managing small budgets
7. Be able to work on your own initiative and as part of a wider team
Portsmouth City Council is committed to delivering excellent museums and visitor services which celebrate the heritage of the city. The Portsmouth Museums and Visitor Services is responsible for six museums and heritage sites across the city, one of which is the D-Day Story.
The D-Day story, in partnership with the National Museum of the Royal Navy, is embarking on an exciting new project which will see the preservation and relocation to The D-Day Story of Landing Craft Tank 7074. LCT 7074 is a 59 metre ship built for D-Day; it carried tanks, men and supplies across the Channel during the Second World War. LCT 7074 will open as part of The D-Day Story in 2020. As part of the project an exciting programme of activities will be delivered to engage a range of audiences.
This role involves the successful coordination of volunteer activity for the LCT 7074. The post holders will also promote and maximise usage of the LCT by the public, facilitating an excellent visitor experience. The main duties of the role include:
- Enhancement of the visitor experience for the LCT, including the delivery of events and activities to take place on-board
- Be an advocate of volunteering and coordinate a team of volunteers to assist members of the public when visiting the LCT
- Administrating ticket sales and event bookings for the LCT
- Assist The D-Day Story Manager in the promotion of the LCT to the general public to maximise usage throughout the year
- Ensuring all Health and Safety procedures are adhered to