Museum Assistant (Temporary)Location:Sandwich Guildhall Museum Main duties:
- Welcome visitors and inform them of what the museum offers;
- Keep a record of visitors and encourage them to sign the visitor’s book;
- Steward the museum and exhibition area;
- Ensure the museum is always presentable and tidy during opening hours;
- Assist in the sale and promotion of merchandise;
- Set up the museum for day to day running (signs out, screens on etc) and ensuring the museum is closed and secured at the end of the day;
- To support positively and proactively where appropriate occasions the museum participates in initiatives, special events and activities;
- Comply with all the relevant policies of the Museum and Archives, be pro-active in maintaining Health and Safety practices and in contributing to the security and safety of the Museum (copies of relevant policies will be provided, as will training where appropriate);
- Assist with answering public enquiries where possible and appropriate or providing the visitor with information for the Archives;
- Assist with basic collections management projects as required and appropriate;
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with other volunteers, Guildhall members of staff and stakeholders;
- Undertake induction training and any relevant and reasonable training as organised by the Museum and Heritage Manager;
- To help the Museum and Heritage Manager and housekeeping staff ensure the museum remains safe and clean for staff and visitors;
- Undertake any other related duties that may be required from time to time;
- Another element of this role will be to work with the Museum and Heritage Manager to create content for the museum’s social media feeds to build on the growing success of the museum’s social media pressure during the quarantine lockdown
Sandwich Guildhall Museum and Archives are currently looking for a friendly and enthusiastic individual seeking to gain further museum or customer service experience. They will be helping the Museum and Heritage Manager to safely reopen the museum to the public after closure due to Covid-19.
The museum is rich with local history and tells the story of Sandwich from the Mesolithic period to the modern day. Situated in the historic Guildhall in the heart of Sandwich the museum also houses the unique Tudor Court Room, dating from 1579 which retains many of its original features. Due to Covid-19 the museum was unable to remain open to the public, however we are now beginning to consider sharing these treasures with visitors once more in a safe and enjoyable way.
This role will give someone seeking a career in the heritage or customer service sector, practical hands on experience with support and guidance through every stage. They will be provided with any required professional training in order to complete tasks, but some background experience in customer or visitor services is desirable.
The candidate needs to be a creative thinker, flexible worker and a strong team player.
This post is for 2 days a week for three months at £8.75 p/h.
For the full Job Description and application form please forward your cv via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01304 617197 for more details.