Job Opportunity: Curator, Crawley Museum, West SussexReference No.3191 Location:Crawley, West Sussex, England Salary:£20,000 Closing date:28/01/2019 Job Description:
Job Title: Curator
Organisation: Crawley Museums Charitable Incorporated Organisation Type: Full-Time Permanent Position
The Post of Curator will be based in the new Crawley Museum at The Tree, 103 High Street, which is a beautiful, refurbished Grade II Listed former 14th Century open-hall house, in the centre of one of the busiest towns in Sussex. There are main exhibition galleries, a temporary exhibition gallery, a Learning Space, and meeting room. The successful candidate will form part of a small professional staff, backed by an enthusiastic team of volunteers.
Crawley Museums CIO is an independent charity that runs Ifield Watermill and Crawley Museum. The collections reflect the life of the area from prehistoric times to the present thriving New Town. The aims are to record and conserve the continuing history of Crawley and to make it accessible to all, particularly through lifelong learning, and a wide-ranging programme of events and exhibitions. The aim is to demonstrate and enhance the heritage of Crawley in a variety of engaging ways.
- Lead as Curator, and be responsible for the curation of Crawley Museum and Ifield Watermill and their collections, working in line with the Museums’ policies and procedures and the sector’s professional standards.
- Prepare and exhibit displays in the main galleries of local history and related artefacts.
- Organise temporary exhibitions and events, co-operating with the Learning and Liaison Officer, to reflect the richness and diversity of Crawley’s heritage.
- Liaise with appropriate groups/organisations within the Museum sector, and the local Community.
- Museum Accreditation.
- Administrative tasks, including : responding to telephone and email enquiries; writing Grant applications; Volunteer rota; recording visitor numbers.
- Liaising and building relationships with the Management Committee, Trustees, and the local Council.
- Management of the Museum building, staff and volunteers.
- Organisation of training and development as required.
- Promote the Crawley Museums.
Skills and Experience Required
- Graduate with Museum Qualification.
- Experience of working in Museum/Heritage sector.
- The ability to produce and deliver museum services in a variety of formats.
- Knowledge of current standards and best practices in museums.
- Experience of supervising staff, and working with volunteers, and assisting with their training needs.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good organisational and time-management skills.
- Willingness to undertake training to enhance the role.
- Flexibility to work a variable schedule, including weekends.
- Good IT and social media skills.
To apply, please send a CV and Covering Letter to : email@example.com
Applications close 5 p.m. on 28th January 2019.
Contact Name: Sue Allen
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: The Tree, 103 High Street, Crawley, West Sussex RH10 1DD