Head of Learning, Weald & Downland Living MuseumLocation:Chichester, West Sussex Salary:Circa 40000 Benefits:23 days Holiday plus bank holidays Contributory Pension Scheme Free car parking Discount to cafe and Museum Shop Main duties:
To conceive, lead, manage and develop the Museum’s formal and public Learning Programmes to offer imaginative and diverse levels of learning opportunities for the public and educational groups, which take full advantage of the Museum’s unique qualities and which develop new audiences and income streams.
The successful candidate will have extensive management experience in a similar role in a museum, gallery or heritage environment including experience of conceiving and developing learning programmes and projects.
They will have a degree in a relevant subject area and be an accomplished communicator, advocator and have good ability and experience of managing staff and financial info/budgets.
Relevant post graduate qualification is desirable.Interview date:03/05/2021 Closing date:23/04/2021 Job Description:
Overall Job Purpose
To conceive, lead, manage and develop the Museum’s formal and public Learning Programmes to offer
imaginative and diverse levels of learning opportunities for the public and educational groups, which take full
advantage of the Museum’s unique qualities and which develop new audiences and income streams.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
• To embed enjoyable learning at the heart of the visitor experience.
• To conceive, manage and develop diverse and imaginative Learning Programmes which are original,
lively inspirational and well researched for the public and educational groups, including outreach
activities, formal learning for school and University students and family and adult learning.
• To lead, manage and develop the Learning team and establish and manage a team of freelance
• To develop high quality materials – in all mediums – to support the Learning Programmes, including
teaching resources and digital content.
• Work closely with the Museums Collections team to inform and develop programmes
• To assist with the provision of visitor interpretation and the Museums narrative, including the
origination of copy for a range of audiences. To support the training of Guides & Demonstrators, both
paid and volunteer through the development of their ‘learning skills’.
• To implement marketing strategies for the Learning Programmes, in liaison with the Marketing Team,
and to work with them to develop the Museum’s public events programme.
• To assist with the development of external funding applications and opportunities, in liaison with the
Head of Development.
• To initiate and develop local, regional and national collaborative partnerships in support of the
Museum’s Learning Programmes.
• To develop and manage robust systems to monitor the effectiveness, reach, appeal and costeffectiveness of the Learning Programmes.
• Deputise for the Director in this area of work when necessary
Competence / Knowledge / Skills required
• Extensive management experience in a similar role in a museum, gallery or heritage environment,
including experience of conceiving and developing learning programmes and projects.
• Relevant degree.
• Extensive and demonstrable knowledge of current best practice in the provision of museum or gallery
learning, as well as national developments and trends in statutory provision and curriculum
• Well developed professional networks.
• Accomplished communication, advocacy and networking skills.
• Ability to and experience of managing staff.
• Ability to and experience of financial management.
• Relevant post graduate qualification (eg. PGCE).
• Experience of relevant grant-giving trusts and foundations