Engagement & Heritage Administrator, Brooklands MuseumLocation:Weybridge, Surrey Salary:£18,000 - £20,000 pa depending on experience Main duties:
- Responding to day-to-day external departmental enquiries via email and phone
- Initial point of contact for any exhibit item donation and research enquiries, ensuring they are dealt with in a timely manner
- Co-ordinating diaries, managing meeting set up and where required minuting meetings
- Monitoring meeting actions and ensuring follow up, by supporting others where required
- Liaison with external contractors who provide specialist services to the department
- Oversight of the department’s ordering, raising Purchase Order requests and ensure delivery and distribution has happened
- Manage and log fault reports specific to the department, making sure the correct people are notified, arranging repairs, and following up to check issues are resolved
- Prompt resolution of any aspects of the exhibits not up to our desired standards with timely reporting to the relevant team. If an issue or fault cannot be dealt with on the day you will ensure that it is reported effectively and follow up accordingly.
Communication & Volunteer Support
- Support the department to maintain good levels of communication across the wider staff team and with department specific volunteer teams
- Develop, implement, and manage a new approach to communication for department specific volunteer teams, to provide them with relevant information / updates
- Where required, support the department managers with their volunteer teams, ensuring relevant paperwork, access information and requests are dealt with
Keeper of Plans and Procedures
- Ensuring department plans and policies are up to date and diarise when they need to be reviewed
- Support the review process of departmental plans and policies, ensuring the most up to date guidance has been reviewed to inform this process
- Help develop, support and maintain the department’s risk assessments register, liaising with relevant staff members to make sure they’ve be written, reviewed and signed off
- Support the development and long-term implementation of maintenance and conservation plans for key heritage assets that include the Aircraft Collection and the historic Race Track and key listed buildings on site
Project Development & Management
- Where required, support new project developments including information gathering, researching and reviewing content specific to the programme
- Keep project plans up to date, supporting contractor liaison and following up with key actions
Visitor Experience and First Aid
- Be a flexible support for the team, to support with vehicle / exhibit changeovers, gallery redisplays, collections cleaning and vehicle movements on site.
- When required, support aspects of the visitor experience which could range from delivering a workshop session to families, overseeing the live vehicle demonstrations on the Finishing Straight and working on event days.
- Be part of the Museum first aid response team.
Please note this is not an exhaustive list of duties and you may be asked to support other departments across the Museum.
- Knowledge and experience of working (either in a formal or volunteering capacity) within the heritage sector.
- Experience working with volunteers would be helpful.
- Demonstrable administrative experience.
- Previous experience of working in a role where organisational skills and the ability to multi-task were essential to success.
- Project management experience, managing multiple stakeholders
- Experience handing and processing multiple pieces of information and data simultaneously
Skills & Competencies
- Positive approach and a ‘can do’ attitude with a willingness to be flexible and ‘get stuck in’ as needed.
- Exceptional organisational skills with the ability to prioritise a busy workload while maintaining a strong attention to detail.
- Good communication skills with the ability to adapt your approach to suit your audience, and conduct all interactions in a calm, professional, engaging manner, especially when under pressure.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to work positively with colleagues, volunteers and external stakeholders to build and maintain relationships.
- Comfortable working with Microsoft Office packages, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Have a willingness to embrace and adapt to change and to try new approaches.
- Full First Aid at Work certificate (or willingness to obtain the qualification).
Reports To: Engagement & Heritage Director
Full time, 37.5 hours per week, some occasional weekend and bank holiday working will be required, including New Year’s Day (time off in lieu will be given for working on Bank Holidays).
About the Role
This role will support the day-to-day operation of the Engagement & Heritage department, making sure it is efficient and effective. The team works across the organisation to support and deliver a wide range of activities that brings our stories and collections to life. You will work across a range of areas and volunteer groups, from collections and heritage engineering to learning programmes, exhibitions and activities, and our active events programme.
Excellent communication will be vital to ensure the flow of information and activity keeps pace. Never settling for ‘that’ll do’ you will make sure that enquiries or issues raised are reported in a timely manner, followed up and dealt with effectively.
As a visitor attraction and a large historic site, the ability to multitask, adapt to changing priorities and generally get stuck into anything that is needed to support the Museum is critical to the success of this position. This is not purely an administrative role, but a chance to use your people skills to make a real difference to the team who care for our unique Museum.
Key Success Criteria
- Excellent customer service, both internally and externally, ensuring the flow of information is maintained, enquiries followed up efficiently
- Clear processes and ways of working guidance established, implemented, and delivered consistently across the department
- Delivery of activities and projects across the organisation to support colleagues when required