Early Years Specialist – Freelance, Petersfield MuseumLocation:Petersfield, Hampshire Salary:£3,500 fee Main duties:
- To lead on the delivery of weekly early years sessions alongside the museum.
- To collaborate with the museum on the development of creative, active, hands on sessions which are rooted in the museum and its collections.
- To advise the museum on relevant activities and methodologies for working with parents and toddlers.
- To ensure the sessions are developed in an inclusive way and support less confident families in taking part.
- To ensure a framework for sessions is developed in a way that is repeatable and easily deliverable by museum staff and volunteers.
- To advise on appropriate materials, resources and equipment for session delivery.
- To produce guidance notes and contribute to staff and volunteer training where required.
- To support project evaluation as required.
Petersfield Museum is looking to appoint an inspiring individual to work as a freelance Early Years Specialist to help us deliver and develop a sustainable parent and toddler group for local families. Our regular parent and toddler sessions will support local families in engaging and feeling comfortable in a museum setting at the same time as exploring the museum collections in a way that is relevant to them.
The Early Years Specialist joins at an exciting point in our ambitious National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF) supported project, which has transformed the Museum’s buildings, exhibitions and programmes and hugely increased what we can offer to the public.
Reporting to the museum’s Learning and Community Engagement Officer the responsibilities for the position are outlined below.
- Proven track record of working with preschool children and their parents in a similar setting.
- Knowledge and experience of working with preschool children and their parents and the challenges and opportunities this presents.
- An understanding of successful early years and family learning approaches.
- Experience of delivering hands on sessions and activities that use museum collections and displays to engage with family audiences.
- Evidence of having supported museum or heritage settings in creating a sustainable offer for family audiences.
June – December 2021 (number of days to be agreed upon)Full details [external link]