ConservatorReference No.IRC87499 Location:National Trust Chilterns Hub, Prospect House, Crendon Street, High Wycombe, Bucks, HP13 6LA Salary:40071pa Benefits:Closing Date: 12 January 2020 We only accept on-line applications. If you require a reasonable adjustment or other assistance to participate in the recruitment process, for example due to disability, please contact the Recruitment Team on 0370 240 0274 For some of our roles at some locations, you’ll need to complete our online assessment which will help us understand more about your strengths and give you an insight into the role. For these roles and locations you’ll only need to complete an assessment for a particular role type once in any six month period. For other roles apply using a c.v. / cover letter or complete the online application form. Short listing is carried out objectively by assessing the information you provide against the requirements of the job as set out in the vacancy details on our website. If you are short listed, you will be contacted and invited to attend an interview. Please note we reserve the right to close this advert early and therefore we encourage you to apply for this position early. Main duties:
Who we’re looking for
To be successful in this role you’ll need to be;
- Enthusiastic, knowledgeable Conservator who is either professionally accredited (e.g. ACR) or able to demonstrate that they are working at the accredited level in the preventive conservation of collections, interiors and statuary, including managing programmes of remedial conservation.
- Share our aims and ambitions and understands the balance of conservation and visitor access.
- Challenge conventional thinking and be proactive in championing bold ideas. You’ll be passionate about making our properties, places and collections ever more relevant and engaging for our diverse audience.
- In-depth understanding of the latest preventive and remedial conservation tools and techniques.
- Be confident in advising and working through property staff and volunteers.
- We’d also like you to have practical experience of providing an effective consultancy service.
We look after one of the finest, most comprehensive historic collections in the world. We want all our visitors to enjoy the illuminating, often surprising, stories that lie beneath the surface of our spaces, places and objects.
We now have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Conservator for a six-month fixed term from March 2020.
What it’s like to work here
There’s no other organisation like the National Trust, Europe’s largest conservation body. No other organisation that brings such an incredible array of places and spaces to life. No other organisation with such an extraordinary wealth of talent, expertise and insight. And that’s why we’ve created the National Trust Consultancy, home to specialists in every field of our work: from archaeologists, curators, building surveyors to volunteering, community involvement and commercial specialists.
Based at our Chilterns Hub, covering properties across Buckinghamshire, Middlesex, Surrey, London and Kent you’ll be part of the National Trust Consultancy working with colleagues on a fascinating variety of historic collections and interiors. You’ll also have access to the London hub in Grosvenor Gardens.
This role supports a portfolio of magnificent mansions and gardens. It includes Ham House portfolio (including Red House and other important London houses), Osterley Park, Hughenden portfolio (including West Wycombe Park), and the Stowe portfolio (including the internationally renowned Grade 1 listed Stowe Landscape Garden and Claydon House).
What you’ll be doing
As well as sharing your conservation expertise, you’ll have lots of new ideas on interpretation, presentation and exciting ways of bringing collections and interiors to life. By focusing on the big picture, by sharing ideas, insight and expertise, you’ll help us to achieve our bold ambition of balancing conservation requirements with visitor access needs. You’ll be involved in caring for world class collections and interiors.Full details [external link]