Collections Manager, Watts Gallery, Closes 31 May 2019Location:Watts Gallery - Artists’ Village is located in Compton, near Guildford, in the Surrey Hills. Salary:£27,000-30,000 pa pro rata (dependent on experience) Main duties:
Collections documentation, care and conservation:
– Develop and implement policies, plans and procedures to maintain Accreditation SPECTRUM standards.
– Manage all collections documentation and records in both paper and electronic formats.
– Maintain and update the collections management system (Adlib).
– Lead on the implementation of all aspects of preventative conservation, including environmental management, light monitoring and pest management.
– Manage museum collections storage including location and movement control systems.
– Liaise with the Curatorial and Estates department on the security and safety of collections.
– Respond to enquiries about the museum collections and image requests.
– Facilitate research visits to the collection, library and archive.
– Promote and present the museum collections through talks, presentations, displays, tours and events.
– Work on the strategic development of the collection to ensure ongoing collection management development and best practice.
– Work with the Brice Curator on the preparation of grant applications for the benefit of the collections as required.
– Manage the programme of loans in and out of the Watts Gallery Trust’s collection including administration of loan documentation, insurance, object valuations, condition surveys, supervision of conservation, packing, transport, and courier supervision as necessary.
– Work with the wider curatorial department on the preparation of temporary exhibition loans in and out as required.
– Manage collection-based volunteers and student placements as required.
– Provide training in collections care and management activities for staff and volunteers.
– Participate in the Curatorial Team’s ongoing public engagement including collection-based talks, tours and digital content.
Carry out other related work as required by the Brice Curator or Director.Interview date:11/06/2019 Closing date:31/05/2019 Job Description:
About Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village:
Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village is located in Compton, near Guildford, in the Surrey Hills. Founded in 1904, Watts Gallery Trust promotes the enjoyment and understanding of the art of George Frederic Watts (1817-904) and Mary Watts (1849-1938) who established a home and studios here in the 1890s. Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village encompasses a unique group of Arts & Crafts buildings: Watts Gallery, Watts Studios, Watts Chapel and the Pottery Buildings.
Watts Gallery Trust, a registered charity, is seeking to recruit an experienced Collections Manager to lead on the preservation, management and development of its significant fine and decorative art collections.
This role will undertake all aspects of collections management to ensure the best professional standards are implemented and enhanced. Working within the Curatorial department, the Collection Manager will lead on the strategic development of the collections to ensure ongoing improvements to collection management procedures and practice. They will also play a key role in improving access and engagement with the collections.
|Applications including a supporting statement expressing interest in and suitability for the position and CV should be sent to Katherine Smith via email@example.com
Watts Gallery is fully committed to Equality and Diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.