Art Collections Officer, Royal HollowayReference No.0921-360 Location:Egham, Surrey Salary: £30,058 to £35,443 Benefits:Generous annual leave entitlement Training and Development opportunities Pension Scheme with generous employer contribution Various schemes including Cycle to Work, Season Ticket Loans and help with the cost of Eyesight testing. Free parking Main duties:
1. To run and evaluate the Picture Gallery’s public opening hours, including ensuring
compliance with relevant policies and legislation (eg health and safety, data
protection, equality and diversity, safeguarding etc).
2. To recruit, train and supervise student volunteers and interns to help with the public
opening hours, gallery open days, and other projects under the guidance of the
3. To co-ordinate and evaluate both campus-based and digital exhibitions and events.
4. To manage and develop the art collection social media accounts in line with College
policy and guidelines, including planning content with the curator, and evaluating
5. To promote art collections activities appropriately to diverse audiences, including
students, staff and the public, in collaboration with the College’s central marketing
team, colleagues in Student and Academic Services, and the Students’ Union.
6. To assist the Curator with collections care by supporting environmental and pest
monitoring, and helping to safely move, wrap, store and dust fragile objects.
7. To accurately keep the art collections management system (Ke Emu) up to date and
undertake the annual audit exercise.
8. To maintain public information about the collections, including on the website, the
museum’s Smartify app, and Art UK, ensuring it is accurate, up-to-date and
accessible to a diverse audience.
9. To answer internal and external enquiries about the Art Collections, including image
publication requests, and to supervise collection visits to the art store from
researchers and the public.
10. Such other duties as may reasonably be required by the Curator, or Director of
Library, Learning Support & Culture
The Art Collections at Royal Holloway house world-class paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings and watercolours including works by William Powell Frith, John Everett Millais and Edward Burne-Jones, as well as furniture and decorative art objects relating to the College’s rich history. Making the collections more accessible to a diverse audience of students, staff and the wider public is a key priority for the art collections. The post holder will facilitate access to the collections by managing the Picture Gallery public opening hours, public events and online engagement as well as maximising opportunities for our students to gain valuable museum experience.
The Royal Holloway historic Picture Gallery is reopening following closure due to the pandemic. We are looking for a personable, highly motivated and enthusiastic Art Collections Officer to facilitate visitor engagement with the collections and contribute to developing the student campus experience. With experience managing a team you will be able to work with a wide range of members of the student body, College staff and wider public. You will have a good understanding of the importance of collections care and be somebody who embraces the benefits of technology to bring the stories of our objects to wider audiences.Full details [external link]