In partnership with Art Fund
Recovery will look different in every museum.
For some, planning to re-open marks the start of recovery; for others, the recovery process will involve new ways of engaging whilst remaining closed until next season.
We know that many museums in the South East have been unable to secure emergency funding from Arts Council England, National Lottery Heritage Fund or Historic England to support their recovery plans during the Covid-19 crisis.
In response to these challenges, the Museum Development Network has partnered with Art Fund offer Recovery Grants to help museums on their recovery journeys.
This funding is about more than re-opening. Recovery Grants will provide simple, fast support for museums to assist them to:
- Adapt existing, or develop new, ways to connect with their community
- Purchase materials and equipment to improve or restart activity
- Support activity to assess the viability of and readiness for reopening
- Support the health and wellbeing of the paid, and volunteer, workforce through to recovery
- Review and revise governance, business models, and strategic plans
- To enhance existing, or start new, digital activities*
*Applicants are required to ensure approaches address equality and accessibility, especially when considering the development of digital solutions.
The total budget of up to £75,000 will be split between two rounds with the first deadline being 4 August and the second 15 September. We encourage applicants to carefully consider the value of their request so we support as many museums as possible.
- Individual applications of up to £7,500 per museum organisation
- Cash match funding is not required
Is my museum eligible to apply?
Your museum must:
- be in South East of England (Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, East and West Sussex, Surrey, Kent)
- be Accredited, Provisionally Accredited or official Working Towards Accreditation. Check the Accreditation status of your organisation by checking the Arts Council England lists of Working Towards and Accredited museums
- not be a National museum
- not be a National Portfolio Organisation (NPO) or consortia partner in receipt of NPO funding
- not accepted Emergency Funding from other Funders (Historic England, National Lottery Heritage Fund, Arts Council England)
NB: Recipients of our other emergency grants (Collections at Risk, Saving Collections and Ready to Reopen) are eligible, however your request must be for different activity than what was previously funded.
How can I find out more?
Please see our Recovery Grant Guidance (WORD).
What are the key dates?
- Monday 6 July: Grant programme opens
- Tuesday 4 August, 12 Noon – First Round deadline
- Friday 21 August – successful candidates notified
- Tuesday 15 September, 12 Noon – Second Round deadline
- Friday 2 October – successful candidates notified
- Monday 1 March – deadline for submission of all project reports, claims and proof of expenditure
How do I submit an application?
Applications are to be made using our application form which can be downloaded below and submitted via email to your local Museum Development Officer.
Please refer to the SEMDP Recovery Grant Guidance (WORD) when writing your application.
For further information please contact your local Museum Development Officer.