Update/ check the inventory and labelling
- Carry out data management and data cleaning.
- Label objects.
- Consider making the inventory digital.
- SHARE Museums East youtube video shows what should be in an object marking kit
- SHARE Museums East youtube video shows how to label textile objects
- SHARE Museums East youtube video shows how to label paper objects
- Collections Trust on digitising collections
- Carry out high level/deep clean.
- Update cleaning schedules.
- Plan for how the museum might be cleaned for reopening in line with decontamination guidance.
- Guidance about decontamination in non-healthcare settings
- Historic England advice on cleaning history surfaces
Update Collections Care Policies
- Build in disaster planning in the event of closure using lessons learnt.
- Update hospitality guidelines for the prevention of infestation.
- Update digital use of collections guidelines, e.g. photographing of objects for digital use during closure.
- Collections Trust Guidance on COSHH
- HSE on COSHH
- Museum of London’s Hazards in Collections
- Collections Trust’s How to guide: hazards in museum collections by Norfolk Museums and Archaeological Service
- HSE Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012
- HSE guidance on asbestos and Asbestos Awareness Course
- Carriage of Dangerous Goods Act – this could affect you if you are moving or loaning objects that potentially contain hazardous materials
- UK Government Controlled Drugs Regulations
- UK Government guidance on commonly encountered controlled drugs
- HSE guidance about control of radiation
- HSE advice on implementing the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
- The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
- Share Guidance on completing Risk Assessments
Check Collections Care Equipment
- Audit what equipment you have, and its maintenance schedule.
- Write a list of any equipment required and the cost.
- Consider donating any unopened boxes of PPE to the NHS.
- To donate PPE, please contact email@example.com
Carry out a Benchmark Assessment and/or Condition Check the Collections
- Collections Trust ‘Benchmark’ self-assessment audit
- Collections Trust guidance on condition reporting with examples and a crib sheet
- Condition reporting tool from The Scottish Conservation Studio
Commission Conservation Work
- Consider sending objects for conservation if access to the object is possible, and you can safely pack and transport the object. Some conservators will be able to work in their studios during this time.
- Conservation Register of Conservators
Read up on Collection Care/Preventive Conservation
- AIM Guide to Successful Collections Care
- Collections Trust’s Signposts to Collections Care: a self-assessment pack for museums was written by South West MLA and offers advice on how prevent damage to your collection by preventive conservation
- Museum and Galleries Scotland guidance on improving stores
- Read the National Trust Manual of Housekeeping (purchase required)
- English Heritage Conservation and Collections Care Advice and Technical Papers
- ICON page on further resources including links to online journals