News & Opportunities
Job Opportunity: Museum Development Manager (South East), SEMDP
Friday 6th October 2017
Employer: South East Museum Development Programme
Salary: £34,538 - 37,306 p.a.
Type: Full-Time Position
Location: Brighton, England
Closing Date: Friday, October 6th, 2017
• The South East Museum Programme provides professional support enabling the region’s museums to evolve and flourish
• The SEMDP has been successful in its application to Arts Council England for sector Support Organisation (SSO) funding for 2018-22 following a competitive nationwide process.
• The Royal Pavilion and Museums is the lead partner for the Arts Council’s Museum Development programme of support and advice to 300 regional museums across the South East (Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Oxford, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hampshire -Solent).
• The c£2million regional programme is co-ordinated by Museum Development Coordination Group (MDCG) a partnership between the Royal Pavilion and Museums, Chatham Historic Dockyard, Hampshire Cultural Trust and Oxfordshire County Museums Service.
• The programme also has added responsibility for administering Accreditation Advice on behalf of ACE, for the South East region.
2. PURPOSE OF JOB
• To lead, evaluate and report on the Museum Development programme aims and outcomes
• To provide coaching and advice and line management for the team
• To manage the establishment of new programme including the impact of the transition lead partner from local authority to trust status.
• To promote and advocate regionally and nationally the Museum Development programme
• To lead on the strategy for the future resilience for South East Museum Development.
• To ensure that Equalities and Diversity are engendered throughout Programme development and delivery
• To explore and exploit fundraising and income generation opportunities to support delivery of the programme
3 PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
• To lead and manage the South East Museum Development Programme on behalf of the SE Museum Development Co-ordination Group (SEMDP) and ensure compliance with the contract with Arts Council including the provision of financial returns, reports and evaluations to Arts Council as required.
• To be responsible for monitoring, evaluating and reporting on the aims and outcomes of the programme
• To be responsible for setting and managing the programme budget, c£2million.
• To manage the regional museum development team in line with delivery of the business plan, including the direct management of the Royal Pavilion and Museums hosted team
• To lead and manage the development of plans and strategies required by Arts Council for compliance with the contract.
• To identify and develop partnership opportunities for Programme delivery which supports the aims and outcomes of the programme
• To set up and ensure contract compliance for museum development hosting organisations with Royal Pavilion and Museums, Oxfordshire County Council and Hampshire Cultural Trust
• To represent SEMDP at key stakeholder meetings, including a new South East Museums Advisory Board, the national Museum Development Network
• To oversee and manage the performance and evaluation of the programme, including programme advocacy.
• To lead on the development of strategic plans and securing funding for the future resilience for South East Museum Development programme working with the Museum Development Team, MDCG and key stakeholders.
To ensure all operations in their areas of responsibility are conducted according to the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and all relevant legislation and council policy.
In particular: as set out in Section 4.4 of the Council’s Health and Safety Policy, and within their area of responsibility:
• To maintain awareness of current Health & Safety legislation and ensure that all employees understand and comply with Health and Safety Policy; that they are informed, trained and supervised to safeguard their own and others welfare and safety
• To carry out risk assessments and ensure implementation of and adherence to safe systems of working practice
• To report and investigate accidents or incidents promptly, implementing recommended action for improvements to safe working practice
• To ensure that safe premises, equipment and working environments are maintained
For more information and how to apply, please click on the link below