News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Security Review 'sharing day'
Accredited museums must obtain expert and objective security advice for collections at least every five years and plan to implement any recommendations. We are interested to find out if there are museums in west Kent who are due a review of their security arrangements and would benefit from a 'sharing day' with a consultant security advisor to help meet the Accreditation requirement. Please contact email@example.com to register your interest.
Over £700,000 in grants go to South East museums
40 museums across the length and breadth of England will benefit from grants worth over £4.6 million, Culture Minister Ed Vaizey announced last month.
The grants, jointly funded by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and the Wolfson Foundation, are designed to fund renovation and improvement projects in museums and galleries, to increase access and enhance the display of exhibits.
Culture Minister Ed Vaizey said:
“The range of projects being funded is testament to the great variety of wonderful collections and attractions at our museums and galleries across the country. These grants will help improve visitor experiences, benefiting local communities and helping to encourage growth, whilst also inspiring audiences with new knowledge, and I’m delighted that with the ongoing generosity of the Wolfson Foundation we have been able to help fund so many projects.”
Paul Ramsbottom, Chief Executive of the Wolfson Foundation said:
“We are pleased to be working with government to fund outstanding projects at museums and galleries across England. The DCMS/Wolfson Fund is an excellent example of how a funding charity and government department can work productively together. The projects supported this round are impressive, and will help inspire visitors to the country’s wonderful museums and galleries.”
Congratulations to the successful South East museums:
- Ashmolean Museum of Art & Archaeology (University of Oxford), “Creating a gallery for the Wellby Bequest of precious and exotic objects”, £100,000
- Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust, “Building the Future”, £150,000
- Museum of English Rural Life (University of Reading), “Our Country Lives”, £175,000
- Museum of the History of Science (University of Oxford), “Wall to Wall History: illuminating the Special Exhibitions Gallery”, £40,000
- National Motor Museum, “Motorsport at the National Motor Museum”, £96,240
- Oxford University Museum of Natural History (University of Oxford), “Sensing Evolution”, £65,000
- Pitt Rivers Museum (University of Oxford), “Satisfying Curiosities: providing new access to Cook-
- Voyage Collections, Knowledge and Scholarship”, £64,845
- Royal Engineers Museum, Chatham, “Waterloo 200: redisplay of Wellington’s Map”, £22,794