News & Opportunities
Job Opportunity: Digitisation Officer, Royal Engineers Museum, Kent
Sunday 9th December 2018
Royal Engineers Museum (REM)
24 months, Full time – 37 hours per week.
Salary £20,559 per annum (MoD Band E1 Equivalent & £1000 Corps Charity Supplement).
As Digitisation Officer, this post holder will deliver a vital element of the Museum’s strategic plan, working towards increased public use, awareness and access to our internationally significant collection.
Working with the existing Collections team and volunteers, the post holder will develop and deliver a series of collections digitisation projects as well as reviewing and improving existing Museum practice, increasing provision of accessible online collections imagery and improving internal use of Museum collection resources by our exhibitions and marketing staff.
The digitisation programme complements a major project to develop new archival research and storage facilities and temporary exhibitions space. It is demonstrative of the Museum’s committed to increasing public access to our diverse collections, whether through innovative programming, activities and exhibitions within the Museum galleries or through online and research services and new media.
Comprising the Corps of Royal Engineers’ museum, library and archival holdings the RE Museum Collection holds Designated status and numbers over 1 million items ranging from armoured vehicles to 17th Century mapping, Victoria Crosses to early 19th Century photographs. The archive and library houses a photography collection of over 300,000 images from the earliest development of the medium, representing the global work of the Royal Engineers as well as a very fine collection of prints and drawings, maps and plans.
The post holder is a RE Museum charity employee, reporting directly to the Collections Manager, with responsibility for meeting Trustee approved targets in line with the Museum’s Strategic Plan and REMLA’s charitable objects.
- Develop a series of new and existing digitisation projects and partnerships.
- Processing existing Collection digital images, uploading to the Museum’s Adlib CMS and online catalogue.
- Manage and develop the Museum’s existing Image Library, liaising with colleagues to establish practical workflows, standardised procedures and assess the requirement for a Digital Asset Management System.
- Identify and build relationships with organisations (MoD, other military archives, professional engineering membership bodies) that may have resources to link with RE Museum collections online access services.
- Work with Museum leadership on fundraising for digitisation and capacity building.
- Assist the Collections Manager with the provision of Image Licensing and reprographic services.
- Ensure that the copyright and intellectual property right details are recorded and safeguarded.
- Ensuring that, as pertinent to the role’s responsibilities, REMLA’s health & safety, data protection, security and staffing policies and procedures are enforced.
Applications by CV (no longer then three sides of A4) and covering letter (no longer then two sides of A4) to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is the 9th December 2018. Interviews will be held in the week following this deadline.