News & Opportunities
Job Opportunity: Activities Officer, The Rifles Collection
Friday 29th December 2017
Purpose of the job
The Rifles Collection is a new and rapidly developing museum in the heart of Winchester and we are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive Activities Officer to develop the museum further.
Over the past five years, the museum has opened to the public, applied for Accreditation, changed to a Charitable Incorporated Organisation with a new Board of Trustees, developed an exhibitions and events programme, recruited a team of volunteers, established an online presence and ventured into retail. We now welcome over 20,000 visitors per year and are planning to expand our offer much further.
The Rifles Collection has been designed to create a collection which promotes learning and engages with visitors to be moved, inspired and challenged with the living heritage that is the story of The Rifles, the Regiment and its people; soldiers and dependants.
As Activities Officer, you will be responsible for leading the development in our offer, for both the daily offer to visitors in the museum and for special events and exhibitions. Working 25 hours a week and reporting to the Museum Manager as a line manager, the main duties are listed below.
- Management of the website and social media, producing engaging and creative content for the website, blog, social media channels and other media.
- Developing the retail offer in the museum and online
- Working with the Museum Manager to support the temporary exhibition programme with a complementary museum events programme
- Booking and arranging of group visits and specialist tours to the museum
- To organise a formal learning offer for schools as well as creating a self-led learning experience within the museum for all and increasing informal learning activities in the museum
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers alongside the Museum Manager and, in particular, supervise and support volunteers delivering museum activities and events
- Enhance the daily visitor offer in the museum and provide demonstrable visitor experience reports and suitable data collection
- Engage with local media, tourist bodies, community groups and other such organisations on behalf of the museum
- Lead on marketing material as required for the museum and its events/exhibitions
- Develop the museum’s activity and audience development plans and provide regular reports on these and other activities to the Trustee meetings
- Source and apply for funding for specific projects and manage the budgets with support and guidance from the Museum Manager
- Assist in the day to day running of the museum as needed, including acting in lieu of the Museum Manager when they are not available and any other duties as required.
- Be security conscious and ensure familiarity with all Health and Safety policies and procedures.
The successful applicant will demonstrate the following essential and desirable requirements:
- A degree/equivalent qualification in a relevant field or comparable work experience within the heritage sector.
- Experience co-ordinating and delivering events
- Knowledge of Wordpress and social media
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Must be available to work for event days and evenings
- Proven ability to prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- Strong knowledge of visitor experience
- Personable and confident with good communication skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Experience of devising, producing and delivering learning and engagement sessions to a range of audiences
- Understanding of the National Curriculum
- Sales experience to maximise income generation
- Experience of delivering workshops or talks
- Knowledge of budget management
- Knowledge of Photoshop or InDesign
- Basic understanding of collections management
- Interest in military history
Terms and Conditions
You will be employed by RHQ The Rifles, initially on a six month probationary period. The salary will be £13,500 (equivalent to £20,250 pro rata). Working hours will be based on a week of 25 hours with time off in lieu for overtime hours. You will be entitled to the equivalent of 5 weeks paid leave per annum. This post includes a pension scheme into which you will be automatically enrolled but will have an option within the first 28 days to withdraw.
Applications by Friday 29th December in either digital form or hardcopy CV and covering letter to: Melanie Marsh, Museum Manager, The Rifles Collection, RHQ The Rifles, Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road, Winchester, SO23 8TS, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information contact: Melanie Marsh Tel: 01962 828505
Interviews: In January 2018