News & Opportunities
Job Opportunity: Service Lead, Cultural Services, Southampton City Council
Sunday 10th December 2017
We have an exciting opportunity for a Service Lead, Cultural Services to work with the Leadership Team, and wider arts and heritage team in implementing the strategic and transformational agenda in Southampton City Council (SCC).
You will work in partnership with external funding agencies and key stakeholders to build a sustainable cultural offer to underpin the future economic and social development of the city. You will lead and define the organisational strategies for Cultural Services as well as support the development and delivery of a wider cultural strategy. You will oversee the development and implementation of an operating model that will transform the SCC arts, heritage and culture provision and lead on a range of development projects to transform the provision within SCC public venues.
To be successful in this role you will be educated to degree level or hold equivalent professional experience and have:
- experience as a Leader in the cultural sector.
- substantial experience of strategic development in the cultural sector
- experience of managing a team through a significant period of change within a complex, politically sensitive environment.
- experience in developing complex strategic improvement projects, overseeing funding bids and in delivering capital funding programmes.
- demonstrated significant experience in developing, and delivering long term business sustainability, demonstrating good commercial and business acumen and the ability to monitor, and manage financial risk.
- experience significant experience in engaging communities through outreach, promotion and marketing, and consequently delivering outstanding customer service.
- demonstrated significant experience of building effective partnerships and links with a range of external organisations.
- experience of managing the customer experience, using customer insight data to respond to customer needs, wants and desires.
- lead a service in accordance with service level agreements and/or customer service standards and experience of managing a budget.
- strong interpersonal skills and be able to advocate effectively.
In addition you will promote greater accountability and self-serve approaches by developing the platform in ways accessible to services; and understand how data and intelligence can inform and direct frontline services.
About Southampton – city of opportunity
Southampton is an evolving city, with a strong sense of community and a passion for the cultural and artistic heritage that the city has in abundance. Southampton City Council has continued to invest in cultural, heritage and artistic provision for Southampton with over £58m invested in the sector across the city over the last 10 years. Over the next five years, and beyond SCC will look to consolidate their existing cultural services division, while planning to strengthen and grow the wider cultural offer. This will be achieved by developing strategic partnerships with other cultural providers and funders in order to grow the service and showcase cultural and artistic heritage of the city.
About Southampton City Council
Southampton City Council is committed to maximising the benefit to be secured from our cultural assets: to do this we will utilise our public venues, outstanding collections and extensive learning and engagement programme to inform, educate and entertain. Southampton residents are placed at the heart of what we do. It is our residents that will help lead the way on making the most of our heritage, cultural and artistic assets.
We seek to create a cultural offer that will help develop the city into a destination that people will want to visit, stay and play in. The visitor economy is vital to the growth of the cultural offer, and vice versa. By growing the ‘business’ of our arts and heritage service we can strive toward becoming ever more sustainable, growing the service to offer an outstanding visitor experience to a wider and more diverse audience.
SCC are the proud stewards of Designated Arts and Archaeology Collections, an important Maritime and Local History Collection, and an extensive Archives Collection. In addition, the Ancient Scheduled Monuments in the city form an important part of the Heritage collection. To help showcase these collections we manage three high profile venues and welcome over 150,000 visitors a year through our doors, our ambition to grow the service to ensure Southampton is renowned for being a centre of excellence for cultural and creative activity, there has never been a better time to join us to play a leading role in the next chapter of our story…
Excellent pension scheme
25 days holiday plus bank holidays
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Lisa Lasky on 023 8083 4516 or Lisa.Lasky@southampton.gov.uk
Interview date – please be advised the interviews will take place on 26th January 2017