News & Opportunities
Job Opportunity: Museum Curator, Kent Police Museum
Tuesday 24th October 2017
Salary £22,688 - £26,565
Fixed Term, full Time
Faversham Police Station
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an individual to take on the role of Curator for the Kent Police Museum.
Applications are invited from qualified curators, or those with significant workplace experience or vocational qualifications, to herald a new era for the Museum which has been in existence for around 30 years.
Candidates will need to have a flair for creating engaging displays and exhibits along with sound business acumen and a good understanding of the legislation and working practices relating to museum management.
You will also be able to look for creative ways to generate income to support the long-term development of the museum, with demonstrable experience of securing funding.
This is a unique role within the force and you will need to be self-motivated and confident, able to work with minimum supervision. You will inspire and enthuse others to get involved, attracting volunteers to support the Museum across a range of activities from accessioning to visitor support.
You will be fully supported by the force’s marketing and digital engagement team who will help with publicity and the development of a new website as well as a range of subject experts from within the force.
This opportunity would suit a highly-motivated and dynamic individual, with a strong understanding of how to use technology to bring history to life as well as how to best display artefacts to tell a powerful story that engages, educates and entertains.
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Knowledge of legislation and working practices relating to Museums along with strong business management skills.
- A track record of developing engaging exhibits and drawing in diverse audiences.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to build a strong rapport with local communities.
- Self-motivated with an ability to persuade, negotiate and liaise with staff at all levels internally.
- Experience of using Content Management Systems to add content to websites.
- Experience of generating income to support Museum activities.
- Knowledge of the police service and a strong interest in police history.
- Experience managing volunteers.
25 days annual leave (increasing with length of service)
Local Government Pension Scheme
Discounts through the Kent Police Recreation Association
Free in-house gym
Closing date: Tuesday 24 October at 4pm
To apply visit the Kent Police website here.