News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Security Review 'sharing day'
Accredited museums must obtain expert and objective security advice for collections at least every five years and plan to implement any recommendations. We are interested to find out if there are museums in west Kent who are due a review of their security arrangements and would benefit from a 'sharing day' with a consultant security advisor to help meet the Accreditation requirement. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
Job Opportunity: Archivist, Royal Logistic Corps Museum, £22,500-£24,500
- Job Type: Full Time (37 hours a week, with very occasional evening or weekend work)
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Salary: £22,500 – £24,500, depending on experience, with pension and other benefits
- Probation Period: 6 Months
Closing Date: 31 August 2017 with interviews in the week beginning 4th September 2017.
This position would suit someone with an understanding or experience of archives, but just as importantly is a genuine interest in military history which will be essential to fulfil this role.
Applications are by CV and Covering Letter to Simon Walmsley at email@example.com. Please ensure that covering letters are no longer than 2 sides of A4 and CVs no longer than 3 sides. Please contact the Museum on 01252 833371 for more information or queries.
RLC Museum: Archivist Job Description.
Manage The RLC Museum Archive to ensure the safe preservation, cataloguing and access to all types of records and documents including, diary’s, photographs, film, video, vehicle records and on-line digital records and assist with research enquiries.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- The proper documentation of all archive material and the management of any staff engaged in the recording of data.
- Carrying out research and to answer enquiries.
- Providing researchers with access to the archive as required.
- Providing assistance and support to the Museum Manager and other Museum staff in the continuing development of The Museum.
- Assist with other museum duties as necessary, which may involve conducting tours, occasionally assisting in the museum shop, assisting with museum displays and the production of text for displays.
- Further develop and grow the Museum Archive in accordance with the Museum Collections Policy.
- Maintaining the security of items in each of the archive stores, ensuring that the facilities conform to standard archive requirements, and as guided by the National Archives and Museum Accreditation standard. This includes monitoring environmental conditions and arranging corrective work as may prove necessary.
- To carry out research enquires: for official MOD, military personnel and where time allows, for the general public, prioritising when necessary.
- To assist with the identification and provision of archival documents and photographs to support museum displays.
- To identify and assist with the provision documents, photographs and text for the new RLC Museum and to participate in interpretative workshops as required.
- To keep up to date with latest developments in archival conservation, preservation, storage and retrieval systems
- To further develop on-line access to The RLC Museum Archive.
- To assist research visitors to The RLC Museum Archive.
- Be responsible for accepting new archive items, which conform to the collecting policy of the museum, and to proactively seek new items.
- To maintain liaison links with National Archives and the MOD in respect to the transfer of official documents to The RLC Archive.
- To monitor and oversee any appropriate charges or payments for access to the Museum Archive.
Minimum Requirements (Essential)
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject.
- A sound understanding or a genuine interest in military history.
- Familiarity with cataloguing and research.
- Ability to work independently and to meet deadlines.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Willingness to undertake further training as required.
- IT literate with experience of using databases.
Additional Requirements (Desirable)
- A professional archive qualification, or substantial equivalent experience in a library or archive environment.
- Research experience and familiarity with relevant standard reference resources in traditional and online formats.
- Experience or a qualification in the conservation of archives.
- Experience or a qualification in the use of archival databases.
- The post involves physical handling and lifting of archival materials.