News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Sustainability Project Sharing Day
28th March 2018, Kelmscott Manor, Lechlade, GL7 3HJ
Kelmscott Manor invites museums from around the area to come and find out more about their Arts Council England Resilience funded sustainability project and the Manor's plans, and to hear about what they have learnt.
In a time of political and economic uncertainty and an ever increasing demand on resources, Kelmscott Manor is looking for innovative ways to increase its profile and become more sustainable so that the Manor and its heritage will continue to attract visitors and be maintained for future generations. The day will feature talks about the project and also a talk by a professional fundraiser with a specialism in museums.
Lunch will be provided and a tour of the beautiful property will also be offered. The manor, famed for their cream teas, has been described as an 'utterly beautiful slice of heaven', and this is a day not to be missed!
Job Opportunity: Archivist, Royal Logistic Corps Museum, £22,500-£24,500
Tuesday 31st October 2017
- Job Type: Full Time (37 hours a week, with very occasional evening or weekend work)
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Salary: £22,500 – £24,500, depending on experience, with pension and other benefits
- Probation Period: 6 Months
Closing Date: 31 October 2017 with interviews in the week beginning 13th November 2017.
This position would suit someone with an understanding or experience of archives, but just as importantly is a genuine interest in military history which will be essential to fulfil this role.
Applications are by CV and Covering Letter to Simon Walmsley at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that covering letters are no longer than 2 sides of A4 and CVs no longer than 3 sides. Please contact the Museum on 01252 833371 for more information or queries.
RLC Museum: Archivist Job Description.
Manage The RLC Museum Archive to ensure the safe preservation, cataloguing and access to all types of records and documents including, diary’s, photographs, film, video, vehicle records and on-line digital records and assist with research enquiries.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- The proper documentation of all archive material and the management of any staff engaged in the recording of data.
- Carrying out research and to answer enquiries.
- Providing researchers with access to the archive as required.
- Providing assistance and support to the Museum Manager and other Museum staff in the continuing development of The Museum.
- Assist with other museum duties as necessary, which may involve conducting tours, occasionally assisting in the museum shop, assisting with museum displays and the production of text for displays.
- Further develop and grow the Museum Archive in accordance with the Museum Collections Policy.
- Maintaining the security of items in each of the archive stores, ensuring that the facilities conform to standard archive requirements, and as guided by the National Archives and Museum Accreditation standard. This includes monitoring environmental conditions and arranging corrective work as may prove necessary.
- To carry out research enquires: for official MOD, military personnel and where time allows, for the general public, prioritising when necessary.
- To assist with the identification and provision of archival documents and photographs to support museum displays.
- To identify and assist with the provision documents, photographs and text for the new RLC Museum and to participate in interpretative workshops as required.
- To keep up to date with latest developments in archival conservation, preservation, storage and retrieval systems
- To further develop on-line access to The RLC Museum Archive.
- To assist research visitors to The RLC Museum Archive.
- Be responsible for accepting new archive items, which conform to the collecting policy of the museum, and to proactively seek new items.
- To maintain liaison links with National Archives and the MOD in respect to the transfer of official documents to The RLC Archive.
- To monitor and oversee any appropriate charges or payments for access to the Museum Archive.
Minimum Requirements (Essential)
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject.
- A sound understanding or a genuine interest in military history.
- Familiarity with cataloguing and research.
- Ability to work independently and to meet deadlines.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Willingness to undertake further training as required.
- IT literate with experience of using databases.
Additional Requirements (Desirable)
- A professional archive qualification, or substantial equivalent experience in a library or archive environment.
- Research experience and familiarity with relevant standard reference resources in traditional and online formats.
- Experience or a qualification in the conservation of archives.
- Experience or a qualification in the use of archival databases.
- The post involves physical handling and lifting of archival materials.