News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Security Review 'sharing day'
Accredited museums must obtain expert and objective security advice for collections at least every five years and plan to implement any recommendations. We are interested to find out if there are museums in west Kent who are due a review of their security arrangements and would benefit from a 'sharing day' with a consultant security advisor to help meet the Accreditation requirement. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
South East Museum Development receives new round of Arts Council Funding until 2022
The South East Museum Development Programme (SEMDP) is delighted to announce that it has today received a conditional offer for a further four years of Arts Council England funding to provide professional support enabling museums across the South East to evolve and flourish. Since 2012, the consortium partners of Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton and Hove (the lead partner), Oxfordshire County Museums Service, Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust and Hampshire Cultural Trust, have been working to raise ambition, drive excellence and build resilience. The consortium partners are grateful to Arts Council England for its continued support and commitment to the museum development programme in the South East. The SEMDP works with a diverse sector, providing expert advice and support to some of the UK’s leading visitor attractions as well as tiny, volunteer run, local museums. Our vision is a community of vibrant and dynamic museums that celebrate our diverse cultural heritage.
As a Sector Support Organisation, the South East Museum Development Programme (SEMDP) 2018-22 will be comprised of:
- A team of highly valued Museum Development Officers - a primary contact and trusted advisor for every museum in the south east;
- Accreditation - on-going support for museums within and working towards the scheme including Mentor support and a dedicated Accreditation Adviser;
- Preventive Conservation Officers - delivering bespoke specialist support on collection care and conservation needs to museums across the region;
- Prioritisation of delivery in business development, collection care & use and visitor experiences;
- Targeted support where it is needed to help museums to progress, using an initial triage process to develop a bespoke multi-year package of support for museums ranging from grants, training, mentoring, placements to referrals for expert intervention;
- Sharing Skills activities enabling museums to work together and learn from each other, including networking, peer development/peer2peer, placements and mentoring.
We would also like to extend our congratualtions to all the organisations in the South East of England who have recived NPO and SSO funding including our consortium partners Royal Pavilion and Museums and Chatham Historic Dockyard.
For more details about NPOs and SSOs, please visit the Arts Council website http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/NPO.