News & Opportunities
Job Opportunity: Deputy Curator, The Royal Hampshire Regiment Trust
Wednesday 31st May 2017
The Royal Hampshire Regiment was the Infantry Regiment of the County of Hampshire from 1702 until it merged into The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment nearly 300 years later in 1992. The Trust was set up to preserve the history of the Regiment through its Museum and Memorial Garden at Serle’s House in central Winchester: and support the welfare needs of former soldiers as well as maintain historic links, on behalf of the successor Regiment, across the County of Hampshire.
Job Description – Deputy Curator.
To manage all aspects of day to day operations of Regimental Museum at Serle’s House, including routinely dealing with visitors and regular information requests - under the direction and guidance of the Regimental Secretary.
Main Curatorial Responsibilities:
- Deal with the appropriate entry, recording, marking, cataloguing, conservation, display, storage, movement and documentation of all archive, 2D and 3D artefacts accessioned into the Museum’s collection
- Accord with the Museum policies and Accreditation Standards.
- Administer the digital collection and electronic data files relevant to the Collection and Archive.(The Museum Database is currently on MODES but the intention is to convert it to CALM).
- Respond to all requests for information about the Collection or Archive material.
- Prepare suitable reports for members of the General Public researching families members who served in the Royal Hampshire Regiment and develop income generation from the provision of archival material and research.
- Help organise and manage the volunteer roster to guide visitors as well as be the point of contact for work experience students.
- Act as website manager for the Regimental website – www.royalhampshireregiment.org and monitor and keep it relevant with regard to the content and activities as necessary.
- Help the Regimental Secretary maintain contact with Comrades of the Regiment, for example - set up, edit and distribute a bi-annual newsletter.
- Assist in preparing and hosting educational visits from local schools
- Work closely with the Winchester Military Museums (WMM) Learning and Development Officer in developing organised visits and events.
- Attend meetings and other events to promote the Museum and the Regimental Trust on such occasions as necessary, maybe outside normal working hours or days.
- Represent the Regimental Secretary, when required, at meetings or other events.
Secondary Administrative Tasks:
- Assist with various other tasks including:
- The administration of Health and Safety provisions.
- Office administration and ICT systems
- Other aspects of Trusts work as required
Person Specification – Qualities, Skills and experience.
The candidate may come from a variety of possible work backgrounds – from recent Museum Studies graduate to a more experienced returner to work – without necessarily having specific or recent Museum skills or experience.
Essential Requirements: The candidate must be:
- Be mature, confident and have a good sense of humour.
- Bright and curious, excellent with people and lots of common sense.
- Able to work without supervision and use his or her initiative.
- A loyal and committed team member with proven reliability.
- Competent in a range of all normal ICT skills.
Desirable Requirements: The candidate should also have:
- Relevant history, heritage or Museum post graduate qualification and interests.
- Some experience of working in a military environment.
Terms and Conditions
We seek to fill the appointment vacancy by 30th June 2017. This is a part time role offering £21k pro rata for a 20-25 hour week.
Note that the Museum is located on Southgate Street – near the centre of Winchester – in a delightful period building owned and maintained by Hampshire County Council.
If you would like to apply please send CV and covering letter either by post or by e-mail to: The Secretary to the Trustees, The Royal Hampshire Regiment, Serle’s House, Southgate Street, Winchester. SO23 9EG. email@example.com to arrive no later than 31st May 2017.