News & Opportunities
Improve your energy efficiency!
UPDATE March 2014
Find out what the museums that took part in the project achieved, pick up a pack of useful tools and resources and network over lunch at the project sharing event.
We are delighted to announce that we've commissioned an exciting project to help museums in the Hampshire Solent area to improve their energy, water and waste efficiency.
Over the next 5 months, working with Sustainable Business Partnership CIC, we'll be helping museums to demonstrate that they meet the Accreditation standard for environmental sustainability and to reduce the environment-related cost of their operations e.g. energy, water and waste costs.
There will be one-day 'UTILISE' training courses for museums looking to reduce running costs and develop an Accreditation standard compliant environmental policy - in Southampton on Monday 9 December and Sandown, Isle of Wight on Tuesday 10 December.
And as another key element of the project, six museums will have the opportunity of intensive support, which will equip them with the knowledge and tools to be able to monitor their own environmental performance and conduct future in-house reviews. We’re looking for expressions of interest for this valuable support package. The deadline for expressions of interest is 5pm on Thursday 12 December 2013.
The package of one-to-one support will feature the following elements:
· Prework: Prior to visiting the site, the consultants will contact the museum to gauge the environmental issues most significant to them, to learn about any sustainability initiatives they are already implementing and to find out what they would most like to get from the service. They will ask for utility bills and, if available, meter readings for the site in order to review utility consumption and the type of tariffs the museum is using. If they already have an Environmental or Sustainability Policy, the consultants will review it against the requirements of the Accreditation Scheme, as well as other environmental standards.
· Site visit: On site at the museum, the consultants will work with the museum’s team to conduct an energy, water and waste efficiency review, using information from the prework and gathered during the visit. The consultants will show the museum’s team how to use key tools to track energy and water consumption. At the end of the site visit the consultants will discuss the findings with the museum team, and together with their environmental objectives, use these to help them draft their first Environmental Sustainability Policy or review their existing policy.
· Site visit report and action plan: Following site visit, the consultants will send the museum a user-friendly, illustrated report and action plan including: prioritised recommendations for energy, waste and water efficiency initiatives with potential cost savings; key environmental legislation that the organisation should be aware of and guidance on how to conduct a full review of legal obligations; links to further support, Government advice and (where available) grant and funding schemes for environmental and efficiency measures.
· Follow-up: Following the visit, the consultants will contact the museum to find out initiatives successfully implemented and to offer further support and guidance. Suggestions as to where to find local suppliers to help implement initiatives can also be provided.
To be eligible for the support package, museums must:
· Be Accredited, Working Towards Accreditation or able to submit evidence of their serious intent to join the Accreditation Scheme;
· Commit staff/trustee/volunteer resource to the project – sending required information in advance, hosting the site visit and taking action afterwards to implement improvements;
· Share learning from the project through the South East Museum Development Programme (for example via case studies and events) provide feedback and contribute to evaluation.
To express interest in the support package, please return the attached form by 5pm on Thursday 12 December 2013.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR THIS SUPPORT PACKAGE HAVE NOW CLOSED. TO BE KEPT UP TO DATE WITH ANY FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES FOR SUPPORT IN THIS AREA, EMAIL YOUR MDO