News & Opportunities
Volunteering Role Opportunity: Collections Assistant, The Rifles Collection, Winchester
The Rifles Collection is the Regimental Museum of The Rifles, a regiment established in 2007. The museum itself was formed in 2013, and is currently working towards Accreditation. As part of this exciting process in this young museum, we are working on our documentation, cataloguing and developing our museum store to be the best it can be! We are looking for a dynamic self-starter who is keen to get more hands-on experience cataloguing and documenting collections, and helping organise the collections for the future. We recently had a generous grant from South East Museums Development to develop our store, and items for the museum’s collections are rolling in all the time, so we need someone who is quick to learn and keen to gain experience working with collections and MODES Complete. This role would suit someone who is aspiring to work in museums, but would like more collections management experience.
- Confident in the use of a computer
- Self-motivated with the ability to work unsupervised
- Enthusiastic about museums and collections
- Able to take direction from the Museum staff
- Attention to detail
- A quick and accurate worker
- Flexible approach
- Ability to carry and lift boxes with training
This role can be undertaken anytime in the week Mon-Fri between 9am to 5pm. Preferably we are looking for someone who can give either a whole day or half-day a week. We are happy to adapt this role around other commitments and can consider it as an internship if desired.
This role is based at Peninsula Barracks, Winchester. Reasonable expenses for travel can be paid.
What skills you will gain
- Experience of working within a museum environment
- Good understanding of MODES Complete
- Knowledge of Documenting and cataloguing in museums
- Knowledge of recent military history and working with a recently established museum and collection
- Understanding of the Accreditation process concerning collections
The Rifles Collection’s Mission Statement
To gather, maintain and exhibit a collection of artefacts, to recognised museum standards, which tell the story of The RIFLES Regiment; its origins, its role and impact in national and international events, its traditions and people (soldiers, veterans, & dependants); which make up its living story. This is in order to provide a learning experience that meets the widest range of public need and connects the public with the Regiment. The collection will provide a heritage resource on all aspects of the Regiment and additionally support other Regimental activities.
To find out more, please contact: