News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Security Review 'sharing day'
Accredited museums must obtain expert and objective security advice for collections at least every five years and plan to implement any recommendations. We are interested to find out if there are museums in west Kent who are due a review of their security arrangements and would benefit from a 'sharing day' with a consultant security advisor to help meet the Accreditation requirement. Please contact email@example.com to register your interest.
'Creative Commercial Collections' Study Visit to the Netherlands
Tuesday 2nd May 2017 to Thursday 4th May 2017
As part of our previous (2012-15) programme, we supported a partnership of museums (Hampshire Cultural Trust, National Motor Museum and Jane Austen’s House Museum) to secure Arts Council England funding for developing commercial opportunities, connecting with the creative economy, working with creative practitioners and businesses from across Hampshire. Through this project, the partner museums have worked with designers and producers to develop contemporary product ranges, with an emphasis on positioning collections as a primary source for creative inspiration, with significant social and economic value.
The project is now well underway and South East Museum Development Programme has agreed that as part of our 2015-18 provision, we will deliver an event to share the learning from this project with other museums. In line with our commitment to raise ambition and to encourage international working, rather than a conventional sharing seminar we have developed an alternative model that will allow SE museums, to experience different and inspiring practices via a funded study visit to two museums in the Netherlands that have outstanding practice in creative commercial collections:
- Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam: Through the Rijkstudio digital platform amazing commercial products have been stimulated around the world, inspired by the museum’s collections, see https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/winners-rijksstudio-award
- Zuiderzee Museum, Enkhuizen: Netherlands Museum of the Year 2013, commercial collaborations with artists and craftspeople are embedded throughout the displays and used to interpret local heritage in new and exciting ways, see http://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/en/132/news/10-years-of-thomas-eyck-at-salone-del-mobile/?id=4741
We are delighted that both of these museums have agreed to host a study visit, to take place on Tuesday 2–Thursday 4 May 2017.
In addition to a representative from each of the project museums, places for representatives of other museums in the South of England have been allocated on a competitive basis to museums that can both gain from and contribute to the shared learning from the study visit. Eligible museums will already have some experience of commercial partnerships with the creative industries. Like the project partners, they will have stories to tell of both what’s worked and what hasn’t.
Applications for this opportunity have now closed. The following museums have been successful in applying for a place on the study visit:
- Brooklands Museum
- Hampshire Cultural Trust
- HMS Warrior/University of Portsmouth
- Jane Austen's House Museum
- Mary Rose Museum
- National Motor Museum
- Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum
- Southampton Arts and Heritage
- St Barbe Museum & Art Gallery
- The Charleston Trust (Bloomsbury in Sussex)
- The Lightbox
- The Priest's House Museum Trust