News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Security Review 'sharing day'
Accredited museums must obtain expert and objective security advice for collections at least every five years and plan to implement any recommendations. We are interested to find out if there are museums in west Kent who are due a review of their security arrangements and would benefit from a 'sharing day' with a consultant security advisor to help meet the Accreditation requirement. Please contact email@example.com to register your interest.
Job Opportunity: Museum Assistant (part-time), Adjutant General’s Corps Museum
1. Position title: Museum Assistant.
2. Tenure: Permanent on completion of satisfactory probation period of three months
3. Hours: 20 hours per week – not including lunch.
4. Working pattern: Monday – Friday am/pm with Saturdays and Bank Holidays on a rota basis for which ‘Time off In Lieu’ will be awarded.
5. Location: The museum is located in Romsey Road, Winchester. The reserve collection is located at Worthy Down near South Wonston. There will be a requirement to work at either location as required.
6. Salary: £8.50 per hour, paid monthly in arrears to a UK bank account.
7. Pension provision: There is currently no pension scheme provided.
8. Role: To support the Museum Curator in the delivery of an effective history of the Adjutant General’s Corps and antecedents to members of the corps and the general public.
9. Main Duties:
- Preparing for and opening/closing the museum as required on a rota basis.
- Security of the building and the collection and the safety of visitors when open.
- Answering questions from members of the corps and general public and undertaking historical research as required.
- Maintenance of the museum’s collection database, inputting and retrieving information as required.
- Selling items from the museum shop and updating stock lists.
10. Additional tasks:
- Assisting the Curator with the development of new displays.
- Conducting guided tours of the museum and reserve collections.
- Assisting with the museum’s educational programme.
- Unpacking and packing of objects and updating paper/digital records as necessary. There will be a requirement to lift boxes weighing no more than 15Kg to shoulder height.
11. Qualifications: Three GCSE (or equivalent) including Maths, English and one other subject.
12. Desirable skills: a working knowlege of IT systems and databases would be an advantage, as would the ability to speak a non-English language. Cash handling experience from working in the retail industry is also desirable.
14. Relevant Experience: Experience in working in the Heritage sector in either a paid or volunteer position would be an advantage.
15. It will be expected that the successful candidate will pass the Criminal Record Bureau suitability checks, however this requirement may change in response to Government legislation.
Application forms may be requested from the museum: Tel 01962 877826 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for completed application forms: Friday 18th November 2016
Interviews to be held week beginning: 5th December 2016.
Successful applicants selected for interview will be contacted directly; all others must assume they were unsuccessful on this occasion.
Any questions regarding the post should be directed to the Curator, address and contact details as above.