News & Opportunities
Volunteer Opportunities: Learning Volunteers, East Grinstead Museum
East Grinstead Museum has secured a grant of £89,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to tell the story of the Second World War pioneering plastic surgeon Archibald McIndoe and the 649 patients who became known as the Guinea Pig Club. This project will involve a new dedicated display area and an extensive learning and community engagament programme.
We are looking for Learning Volunteers to join our small project team who can commit to a minimum of one day a week between July and the end of September. Your role will be to assist the Learning and Community Engagement Officer in the research, planning and delivery of the learning and community engagement programme. Tasks will vary depending on what needs doing and as your skill develops but broadly will include:
Identify and research learning opportunities within the key stories and information to be drawn out of the four key themes:
- An Introduction to the Cottage Hospital and Treatment Prior to WW2
- Pioneering Treatment at East Grinstead
- The Town That Didn’t Stare
- The Guinea Pig Club – The Most Exclusive Club in the World’.
- Identify the key collection objects to maximise learning potential of the four key themes as listed above.
- Support the L&CEO in the delivery of learning activities.
- Support the L&CEO in communications with visiting audiences.
- Attend and share learning from appropriate training.
You will be provided with a volunteer induction and training for all tasks. You must be able to use your own initiative and willing to work both as part of a team and independently as and when required. You must be computer literate and have a willingness to learn. An interest in the heritage of the town and museums and experience of the national curriculum would be of benefit.
Please note that we are not able to cover travel expenses unless they are incurred as part of this role.
If you are interested in joining our team please contact Fran Stovold, Project Manager on email@example.com.