News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Security Review 'sharing day'
Accredited museums must obtain expert and objective security advice for collections at least every five years and plan to implement any recommendations. We are interested to find out if there are museums in west Kent who are due a review of their security arrangements and would benefit from a 'sharing day' with a consultant security advisor to help meet the Accreditation requirement. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
Volunteer Opportunities: Volunteer Researchers, East Grinstead Museum
East Grinstead Museum has secured a grant of £89,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to tell the story of the Second World War pioneering plastic surgeon Archibald McIndoe and the 649 patients who became known as the Guinea Pig Club. This project will involve a new dedicated display area and an extensive learning and community programme.
We are looking for Volunteer Researchers to join our small project team who can commit a minimum of a day a week between July and the end of September.
Your role will be to assist the Project Manager in the research, writing and editing of text, images and oral histories which will form part of the new exhibition.
Tasks will vary depending on what needs doing and as your skill develops but broadly will include:
- Research the key stories and information to be drawn out of the four key themes:
- 1. An Introduction to the Cottage Hospital and Treatment Prior to WW2
- 2. Pioneering Treatment at East Grinstead
- 3. The Town That Didn’t Stare
- 4. The Guinea Pig Club - The Most Exclusive Club in the World’.
- Identify the key collection objects to support the four key themes as listed above.
- Attend and share learning from appropriate training.
- Review existing oral histories from collection and other projects.
- Carry out extra interviews with people from East Grinstead that were part of 'The Town That Didn't Stare'.
You will be provided with a volunteer induction and training for all tasks. You must be able to use your own initiative and willing to work both as part of a team and independently as and when required. You must be computer literate and have a willingness to learn. An interest in the heritage of the town and museums would be of benefit.
Please note that we are not able to cover travel expenses unless they are incurred as part of this role.
If you interested in becoming a Research Volunteer please contact Fran Stovold, Project Manager, Rebuilding Bodies & Souls on email@example.com.