News & Opportunities
The HLF Skills for the Future grant programme is back!
Skills for the Future is a grants programme for projects which provide paid work-based training placements to meet a skills shortage in the heritage sector and help diversify the workforce. Grants will be from £100,000 to £750,000.
In two previous rounds, in 2010 and 2014, HLF trustees awarded grants to 93 projects, investing £47m across the UK. To date, 40 projects have completed, over 1,700 trainees have been recruited and 1,300 of those have finished their placement.
On 24 June 2016, HLF will publish guidance and forms their website when the programme opens to applications. There will be a two-round application process, with 29 September the deadline for first round applications.
If you would like to register for one of their information workshops then please book via Eventbrite.
Please see the details below:
Edinburgh: 27 June (afternoon)
London: 29 June (morning)
Belfast: 30 June (afternoon)
Cardiff: 1 July (morning)
Nottingham: 8 July (morning)
Birmingham: 11 July (afternoon)
Leeds: 13 July (afternoon)
London: 26 July (morning)
The programme is intended to:
- fund high quality, paid work-based training opportunities
- provide placements that equip people with the skills to pursue a career in heritage
- address identified skills shortages in the heritage sector
- increase the diversity of the heritage workforce
- enhance the capacity of the heritage sector to deliver sustainable training and share good practice
HLF will assess projects against three outcomes. With their Skills for the Future investment:
- people will have developed skills
- people will have learnt about heritage
- more people and a wider range of people will have engaged with heritage. This outcome will be weighted in our assessment. Our Trustees would like to see strong proposals for the recruitment of a diverse range of people into the heritage sector
If you experience any issues booking a place or you can’t attend a workshop but would like to receive an alert when programme guidance is ready, please email the Skills team at firstname.lastname@example.org