News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Security Review 'sharing day'
Accredited museums must obtain expert and objective security advice for collections at least every five years and plan to implement any recommendations. We are interested to find out if there are museums in west Kent who are due a review of their security arrangements and would benefit from a 'sharing day' with a consultant security advisor to help meet the Accreditation requirement. Please contact email@example.com to register your interest.
Volunteer Opportunity: History of Place Volunteer Research & Archive Group, London and the South East
Why does the History of Place project need volunteer support?
The History of Place delivery team are looking for volunteers to help us with a ground-breaking national project which will celebrate the lives of deaf & disabled people through history. We are recruiting volunteers to join our VRAG (Volunteer Research and Archive Group) and carry out research in local archives as part of this Heritage Lottery Funded project. This new research will be shared on our website, be used as stimulus for creative responses (film making, creative writing, etc) and to inform the local and touring exhibitions we are planning for 2018.
What will History of Place provide?
Our volunteers will receive training and support to enable them to carry out research and to identify hidden or new archive material. There will also be the opportunity to receive training in order to record oral histories for some locations.
How much time will I be expected to give?
Hours will need to fit around the opening hours of the local record office/access to private collections. We would ask for you to be available for initial induction and training for one or two half days and then more flexibly, depending on your availability.
Where will I be based? Pick one or more from the list below
- Maison Dieu, Faversham, Kent/Canterbury Cathedral Archive/Local collections
- Margate School for the Deaf/Local Record Office
- Chiswick House Asylum, London/Wellcome Trust offices/Local Record Office
- Langdon Down Museum of Learning Disability/London Metropolitan Archives
- St Savours Church, Acton/Local community centre/London Metropolitan Archives
- Desk research from home searching online catalogues/archives and other sources
What will I be doing?
You will be using archives to research into stories of people associated with the 8 locations above. This will include:
- Looking through local records.
- Recording information onto central log.
- Uploading information onto website holding page for monitoring purposes.
- Contributing to the local blog and website with your experiences.
Some volunteers will also be interviewing subjects who are willing to have their memories recorded; an oral history.
What skills, qualities and experience do I need?
An interest in archives, local history and/or deaf & disability history. This role would suit someone looking for experience in this field. You will be given training on how to use the local archive. Reasonable travel expenses will be paid.
What will History of Place expect from me?
- To be the friendly face of History of Place and deliver excellent customer service.
- To be reliable in attendance and dependable.
- Help us maintain the highest standards of presentation at our sites and properties.
- To wear/provide identification where required/provided.
- Help us protect the collections by understanding and following our security and safety procedures.
- Maintain good working relationships with staff, other volunteers and members of the public.
- Attend appropriate training and learn about the work of Accentuate, History of Place.
- Observe organisational policy and procedures.
- Safeguard confidential information about Screen South, Accentuate, History of Place and let us know about anything relating to your role or our work which might be controversial.
- Any documentary or other material (including any copyright applying thereto) you are provided with or created by you in respect of your volunteering will be the property and copyright of Screen South, Accentuate, History of Place (unless otherwise agreed in writing).