News & Opportunities
Specialised training for museums to work with 0-2 year olds and families is now available!
Open Sesame is an early years creative learning programme for young children working with early years settings, cultural organisations and artists.
The current 2-year project is based in East Sussex and we have worked with Children’s Centres and cultural organisations including Glyndebourne, Towner Gallery, Bexhill Museum, Jerwood Gallery, and Hastings
Museum and Art Gallery.
Open Sesame is produced by Culture Shift and supported by Arts Council England, East Sussex County Council and East Sussex Arts Partnership.
Developed as part of the Open Sesame project, this unique package of artist-led training for staff, volunteers and freelancers includes participatory public sessions and is a wonderful opportunity to unlock the richness of cultural and heritage venues for 0-2s and those who care for them.
What we offer:
• 2 performances of the Brave Steps show (for up to 20 children aged 0-2, plus adults at each performance – see details on next page) presented at the host venue, with
• a follow-up day of tailor-made training for up to 20 staff/volunteers focussed on making the most of your setting to provide an excellent welcome and quality, creative experience for babies, toddlers and their families
This will enable your organisation to:
• Gain confidence in engaging families with very young children
• Create resources for very young children, reflecting the nature of your venue and its content
• Develop a wealth of ideas and activities, tailored to your own programme, and the needs and interests of very young children
• Optional - open the opportunity up to other local venues to share costs and build a community of practice
Our 2-day package has run successfully at Brighton’s Jubilee Library and at Chichester Festival Theatre for a group of organisations and is also due to take place at Brighton
The subsidised rate for this 2-day package is only available up to the end of September 2016.
How to book:
The 2-day package can be booked at a subsidised rate of £800 by a single organisation for your in-house team or as a shared event with costs split with your partner organisations.
• a suitable space for the presentation of BRAVE STEPS – min 50sq m
• organisations booking the 2-day package must be able to promote the Brave Steps events to your audiences and enable staff and volunteers from your own and other
participating venues, if relevant, to observe one or both events and participate in follow-up discussion
• suitable space also around 50sqm for the second day of professional development (led by Octopus Inc) for up to 20 staff and volunteers including providing light refreshments
• Parking for up to two vehicles would be appreciated
Get in touch!
Please contact Clare Halstead to discuss your requirements and to check availability and agree dates.
We look forward to working with you.
More information on Open Sesame:
More information on Octopus Inc: http://www.octopusinc.org.uk/