News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Security Review 'sharing day'
Accredited museums must obtain expert and objective security advice for collections at least every five years and plan to implement any recommendations. We are interested to find out if there are museums in west Kent who are due a review of their security arrangements and would benefit from a 'sharing day' with a consultant security advisor to help meet the Accreditation requirement. Please contact email@example.com to register your interest.
Kent Creative Awards
The 5th January deadline for the Kent Creative Awards is approaching...
A celebration of Arts and Culture in Kent with the ceremony taking place during a dinner on Wednesday 18th May 2016 in Faversham.
The event will reward contributions to the cultural world of Kent from individuals and organisations that embrace creativity and will highlight the variety of creative works, projects and events created across the county that add value to local economy and communities.
The focus in these Awards is not necessarily on the business side of art practices or organisations. It is not always about how much money they earn from it. It is also about the artistic quality of the work; how much work they produce; how often they show it; what feedback they receive from their audience; their plans for the future; etc…. It is about their journey.
These journeys will be looked at by a panel of judges:
• Brian Aris. One of the leading celebrity photographers working in Britain.
• Crista Cloutier. ‘The Working Artist’, a professional practices masterclass.
• Bill Fox. Chairman of the FSB Kent & Medway.
• Amicia de Moubray. Author, writer and blogger.
• Bay Lees. Artist; Former Head of Arts at Ashford School.
• Jaye Nolan. Director of the Rochester Literature Festival.
• Jo Nolan, MD at Screen South. Amicia de Moubray. Writer, author and blogger.
• Will Palin. Architectural writer & Conservation Director at the Old Royal Naval College.
• Antony Penrose. A photographer, Antony Penrose is the son of Sir Roland Penrose and Lee Miller. He is director of the Lee Miller Archive and Penrose Collection at his parents’ former home, Farley Farm House.
• Victoria Pomery. Director of Turner Contemporary.
• Deborah Turner. Founder of YOU Image Consultancy. FSB Champion for Women in Business.
So if you work in the arts in Kent, do not hesitate to submit your work to one or several of these categories:
1. 3D art and objects Ceramics, Glass works, Installations, Jewellery, Sculpture, Wood work, Metal work…
2. Design Fashion design, Furniture design, Graphic design, Interior design, Product design, Web design…
3. Visual Arts Drawing, Painting, Photography, Printmaking…
4. Audio-visual Animation, Audio, Films, Videos,…
5. Performing arts Comedy, Dance, Music, Theatre…
6. Publishing Blogs, Literary works, Magazines…
7. Event of the year Concerts, Community events, Exhibitions, Fairs, Family events, Festivals, Lectures, Plays, Talks, Theatrical show…
8. Cultural venue of the year Art gallery, Cinema, Community centre, Museum, Theatre, …
9. Creative business of the year – Sponsored by the FSB A creative practice/business with significant entrepreneurship achievements.
10. Community organisation of the year An organisation that has best benefited the community.
11. Creative Champion of the year An individual who has made a difference somewhere, somehow in the cultural world of Kent. Somebody inspiring and motivating. Note: for this award, you must be nominated by someone else.
12. Sponsor of the year This award celebrates businesses that engage in arts and culture across Kent and work together with art organisations for mutual benefit.