News & Opportunities
Are you ready for Takeover Day on 20th November?
'Takeover Day' is an exciting and highly successful event with children and young people all over the UK taking charge of museums, galleries and heritage sites. This year the event will be taking place again on 20th November and you are invited to be part of it!
The participation map is starting to fill up, thanks to everyone who's already registered! Remember to remind your museums about Takeover Day onFriday 20th November. If they haven't registered yet, they can join in by heading to our website and completing the online form.
Although we encourage organisations to join in with the main event so they can showcase their excellent work together, we'll still support them and you if they’re able to do Takeover Day on another date during the year.
Check out the resources available to support your region's museums with planning and preparation including:
- All You Need to Know About Takeover Day and 7 Reasons for a Museum to Take Part – these will highlight the benefits for your organisation, support your case at a team meeting and explain the whole project
- Factsheets such as So Where Do We Find Young People?, How Can We Welcome Visitors if our Museum is Closed?, How Can We Involve Young People with Heritage Outdoors? And more!
- Tips on press, evaluation, how to set up a youth panel or how to use Arts Award to support your event.
- Takeover Day reports from previous Takeover Days
- Support for Schools and Youth Groups that will answer questions they may have about Takeover Day
- Case Studies covering a range organisations of different sizes and types
Free Planning and Sharing Meetings
We're also running free Planning and Sharing events to help you plan your Takeover Day and gain useful tips and inspiration from people who've taken part before.
- 17th September – M Shed, Bristol, 9.45 – 16.30. To attend, book here. This event is supported with investment from RIO
- 28th September – York Castle Museum, 11.00 – 15.00. To attend, book here. This event is supported with investment from CapeUK
And we'll be at the following networking events to help you make plans.
Come along and find out more about Takeover Day as well as get advice from the team.
- 11th September – Fun Palaces, Takeover Day, Arts Award: putting young people at the heart of arts and culture. This event is organised by Culture Bridge. National Glass Centre, Sunderland, 10.00 – 16.00. To attend, book here.
- 18th September – Giving Young People a Voice: an Introduction to Youth Panels and Similar Approaches. This event is organised by SHARE Museums East. Colchester Castle, Essex, 11.00 – 15.30. To attend and for more information, click here.