News & Opportunities
Research and development opportunity - Creative Museums
This initiative, run by Battersea Arts Centre in partnership with museum consultant Gabby Porter, is a time limited programme of experimentation for six museums and a wider cohort of peers including heritage, performance and arts specialists. The participating museums will use a process called Scratch to build lively programmes and venues which enrich the experience for visitors, directly and creatively involve their audiences, tackle challenges and generate new business opportunities.
Battersea Arts Centre has built a reputation in the museums and heritage sector for developing resilience both in its own organisation and in others, by using a creative process called Scratch. Battersea Arts Centre has used Scratch to shape its own architecture at Battersea Town Hall, as well as its performances. It has also used Scratch with partners and people in the education sector, social enterprises and public services.
Gaby Porter brings a wealth of experience in the museums and heritage sector, especially around innovative approaches to interpretation, audience development and organisational learning.
How might you benefit from Creative Museums?
- Are you looking to connect more closely with local people and communities?
- Are you keen to develop a programme which is richer, more playful and varied, while also affordable?
- Are you in the early stages of a capital development, and beginning to think about the programmes, spaces and services you might want to create which are fit for the future?
- Are you looking for a chance to think afresh about your ‘offer’ through a creative dialogue to develop new ideas and enrich audience experience?
- Do you want to encourage and enable people within your organisation to shape and develop ideas quickly and at a low cost?
- Would you like others to use your museum as a venue for performances and imaginative programmes?
Applying to Creative Museums: Introductory Sessions
23 June HOME, Manchester 12pm - 3.30pm
24 June WATERSHED, Bristol 12pm - 3.30pm
8 July Battersea Arts Centre, London 12pm - 3.30pm
15 July SAGE, Gateshead 12pm - 3.30pm
How do I book a place?
To book, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- Your name
- The name of the museum where you work
- A link to the museum website
- The number of people working there
Priority will be given to people working in museums with nine members of staff or less. NB: Numbers at these sessions are limited, so please book a place as soon as you can.
How do I apply?
A short application form will be given out during our introductory sessions or, if you are unable to attend, we can send the form to you. The deadline to apply to be part of Creative Museums is: 5pm, Friday 4th September 2015.
If you have any immediate questions, please email: email@example.com or phone 020 7326 8264”