News & Opportunities
Here you will find all the latest news and opportunities from around the region and nationally. Just click on the 'show tags' button on the left under the calendar to filter the information to your requirements.
Security Review 'sharing day'
Accredited museums must obtain expert and objective security advice for collections at least every five years and plan to implement any recommendations. We are interested to find out if there are museums in west Kent who are due a review of their security arrangements and would benefit from a 'sharing day' with a consultant security advisor to help meet the Accreditation requirement. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
The British Museum across the UK
Successful national programmes emerge from strong working relationships. In collaboration with our UK partners we run training programmes, share expertise, lend objects and build professional networks. We encourage museums and galleries to get involved, broadening what they can do by working in partnership. Together we can enrich local programmes and attract new visitors.
To find our more about our programme http://www.britishmuseum.org/about_us/national_programmes.aspx
Summary of the national programme:
- 3 million people saw British Museum objects in museums outside London
- Over 2,700 objects were loaned to 187 venues in the UK in 2013/14, including 1200 long-term loans
- The British Museum Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) has resulted in over 1 million archaeological objects and coins found by the public being recorded
- Star object spotlight loans in recent years have included the Warren Cup, Mold Gold Cape, the Head of Hadrian and Mildenhall Great Dish
- The BM has 7 long-term Partnership Galleries in museums across the UK in Glasgow, Carlisle, Newcastle, York, Manchester, Birmingham and Truro
- The BM’s new online teaching resource, Teaching History with 100 Objects, supported by the Department for Education, uses objects to inspire and educate children about history. It features objects from 40 partner museums across the UK
- Through a range of programmes the BM shared its expertise with over 200 museums in 2013/14
The British Museum is keen to work with museums and galleries across the UK. In true collaboration we look to our partnership to help shape the programme and we invite colleagues to get in touch to let us know how the BM can work with you:
Maria Bojanowska, Head of National Programmes, MBojanowska@britishmuseum.org
Katy Swift, UK Partnership Coordinator,
Natalie Tacq, Project Coordinator: Museum in Britain
Una Helle, Project Assistant: Museum in Britain
Michael McBratney, Learning Museum Programme Coordinator